Monday, September 1, 2014

Hits and Misses (August 24-30)

This week has been dominated by our time at Baptist East for Dad's heart cath and subsequent triple bypass surgery. Here's a look at the highs and lows of this stressful week.

HITS
  • We were blessed with an incredible nursing staff at the hospital. Not only was their care for Dad exceptional, they were also quick to address the needs of my family. They gave tons of information in a manageable manner and looked for opportunities to lighten the mood for us. We have been most thankful for their kindness throughout our time at Baptist East.
  • The power of prayer was evident throughout the week. I will allow my family to share their individual testimonies, but as we watched Pop's rapid improvement, there was no doubt that the prayers being raised around the world (literally!) on his behalf were heard and answered. As the week came to a close and we experienced some frightening moments, my family once again felt the benefit of prayers lifted to the Heavens on our behalf.
  • We were also blessed to witness a relatively speedy recovery after surgery. We are thrilled that Dad did not spend a lot of time on the respirator this week. Despite a setback at the end of the week, we rejoice at how quickly his color returned after surgery. We are thankful that we have once again heard his wit and sarcasm while he was recovering in the ICU. Although we know that our road to recovery is not over, we are clinging to the hope that the progress we have witnessed will continue in the days and weeks ahead.
MISSES
  • Waiting is always tough. My family felt so helpless as we sat nervously, waiting for the next update from the operating room on Thursday. It was made more manageable as we made connections with other families in the waiting area and were touched by multiple friends who sat with us through the tough hours and prayed with us as we were updated on Dad's progress. The tough job of waiting continues as Dad regains his strength in the ICU. 
  • To add insult to injury, I managed to catch a cold while visiting the hospital. My throat is sore, my voice is raspy, and my sinuses aren't quite sure what role they are going to take on this time around. As a result, I wasn't able to see Pop for myself until Saturday afternoon....and then only from a distance. I am doing everything I can to ensure that I don't spread my germs to family members caring for Dad.....and more importantly, to Dad himself. At the moment, I'm visiting Dad vicariously through Mom's updates and hope to be feeling better soon.
There you have it! On this Labor Day, we're spending another day in the Cardiac Waiting Room of Baptist East. Hug those you love a little tighter for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment