Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Saying Thanks

The past few weeks have driven home the fact that sometimes words are insufficient. As Dad's recovery in the hospital appeared to begin winding down, my family and I reflected on the many expressions of kindness we had received from friends. We were overwhelmed by the compassionate care we received from the exceptional doctors and nurses. I found myself wanting to express my sincere gratitude to everyone, but somehow the mere words "thank you" seemed so insufficient.

Sending cards seemed to be the best solution I could find to come close to expressing myself. There's just something about the process of selecting a card and taking the few moments needed to put thoughts and emotions on paper that communicate your sincere feelings. Even though the words still fall short, the activity begins to express appreciation. My only regret is that it is simply impossible to contact every single individual that has positively impacted my family.

As I wrote my notes to friends, I found myself wondering why I only send cards when life's "big" events hit. Not only do the messages tell others what's on my heart, but they also become a type of prayer of thankfulness and blessing on the people I'm writing. Can you imagine the effect a card might have on a friend who receives it "just because"? Email is a quicker method of communication. Facebook and Twitter are much easier. Still, there's a special feeling we get when we receive a hand written message by snail mail. It required some effort. It took some time. It says "I am special."

What name just crossed your mind? Stop what you're doing and send them a card today. Tell them you are thinking about them.....I'm sure it will brighten their day!

No comments:

Post a Comment