Friday, May 20, 2016

The Need to Self-Edit



It's a lesson every writer must learn. Whether you are composing a professional email, academic essay, or personal blog entry, there are things that simply do not need to be put in writing. Feelings are too raw. Emotions are running high and you don't want to have to eat your words later. Instead, you edit.....


This is one of the reasons that I choose to write blog posts several days before they go live. It allows me time to carefully consider the words that will be linked to me. I have an opportunity to let off some steam and craft my words at a later date. It is a sure way to protect the innocent (and sometimes the guilty)!


My blogging routine got out of synch this week -- what can I say? It's summer vacation here -- so I didn't have the chance to craft a proper post that wouldn't be completely flavored with my current level of frustration. Rather than write something that might generate a firestorm, I'm choosing to edit myself. As a writer, I hate feeling that I am forcing myself into a version of censorship; as a person, I know it's the right decision in this situation.


No need to worry though, dear reader. I'll return to my normal truth-telling blogs next week. By then the source of my current frustration will have passed and I'll be able to move on. (And I'll be back to the process of writing posts before they go live......and have the luxury of editing as necessary!)


Happy weekend, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment