Friday, September 26, 2014

Transformed!

The church I am attending (Marion First Baptist) is in the process of being transformed. Through a series of eight sermons, the congregation is exploring how God wants to transform our health spiritually, physically, financially, relationally, emotionally, and vocationally. (There is another area that I am not recalling at the moment.) The sermon series uses Romans 12:1-2 as its key verse.

In the sermon on spiritual health, the following statement was made: "What we think influences how we feel. What we feel influences how we act." What a powerful concept! If we want change in our lives, it is not an issue of will-power or an emotional event. True change begins in the mind. We first have to change the way we think.

To illustrate this point, Dr. Hallmark had us look at the story of the Prodigal Son found in Luke 15. In this familiar story we see a great change in the son's thinking. In verse 12, the son is most concerned about what is due him. His first words are "Give me!" By verse 19, the proof of his transformation is clear. "Give me" has been replaced with "make me." Rather than focusing on what he can get, the son seeks to find out how he can serve his father as an act of love for the forgiveness he had received.

This was the first time I had ever considered this parable in this light. I have to admit that it brought some conviction. I've enjoyed sitting in congregations for nearly a year with a "give me" attitude. I wanted to enjoy the services without making any type of commitment. I was being a free-loader.

That's no way to live a spiritually healthy life. For a season, I was experiencing some much needed healing and restoration. That season has passed, but I had gotten comfortable in my "give me" mentality. I wasn't necessarily saying "no"; I just wasn't permitting anyone to be aware of the abilities I had to offer.

Now I'm finding myself praying "make me" again. Show me how I can serve. Place me in the body as it pleases You, Lord. The proverbial pew has become too comfortable, so it's time to get up and get my hands involved in ministry again.

There has already been a little guilt to deal with. I've been unable to assist with some projects due to schedule conflicts, previous commitments, and Dad's health issues. Saying "no" is never easy for me. I immediately heard the accusing voice declaring that people are going to think I'm all talk and no commitment. I refuse to believe that to be the case. I won't allow unfounded guilt to steal my "make me" attitude. After all, I'm pursuing transformation one step at a time. It's past time for this caterpillar to break out of his cocoon and fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment