Friday, September 12, 2014

Taking a Chance

Recently, Mom and I found ourselves having dinner together. We knew we didn't want fast food, but we didn't want to return to any of our regular spots either. I suggested heading to Chili's. Mom conceded and asked for my recommendation; I thought she would enjoy the country fried steak. I was thrilled to hear her comment on how good the food was as she ate!

As we left the restaurant, Mom shared that she had always steered away from Chili's because she assumed the food would be extremely spicy. Now she was pleased to find that her preconceived notions were not entirely true, but she never would have known that if she hadn't been willing to take a chance.

Since that night, Mom's comments have stayed on my mind. What wonderful things have I missed because of a faulty assumption on my part? How different might things be if I had dared to take a risk?

Why do I sometimes avoid making a decision with an uncertain outcome? I don't want to risk failure. I don't want to let others see a perceived weakness in me. I don't like feeling out of control. I like to be certain of the outcome before committing to a new undertaking. (I have a feeling I'm not the only one who feels this way either if we're all honest with ourselves.)

When I finally take the leap of faith, I learn something new about myself. Risk often leads to adventure and personal growth. The joy of fresh discovery only occurs when I dare to step beyond the familiar into the realm of the unknown. My true potential can only be fully realized when I am willing to risk failure. Taking risks is part of what makes life exciting!

What risk is presented to you today? Will you stop being thwarted by your self-perceived limitations and dare to find out what possibilities truly exist for you? Go ahead and take the plunge....you may just find that the personal rewards are worth all the risk! Besides, you'll never truly know until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment