Monday, September 8, 2014

Hits and Misses (August 31 - September 6)

Once again, this week has been dominated by spending time at the hospital as Dad continues to recover from surgery. Here's a brief look back at the week that was.

HITS
  • My family continues to be reminded of how loved we are. Friends and colleagues are asking about Dad's progress on a daily basis and offer words of support by phone, text, and email. We've received more offers for meal delivery than we were able to accept. We have been extremely blessed and encouraged by the multiple expressions of kindness.
  • Laughter and family are a tremendous medicine. Even though I hate that Dad is suffering, I am so thankful that I have such a tight-knit  family. This crisis has only strengthened our bond and made us more appreciative of our time together. If you've not experience a belly roll in a hospital room with family, you don't know what you're missing!
  • After a week of eating food from the hospital cafeteria and all manner of take-out, I was definitely looking forward to some quality home cooking. Even though it didn't work out quite as planned, a meal with Mom away from Baptist East was definitely just what the doctor ordered!
  • What blog post would be complete without a little bathroom humor? Without going into too much detail, Dad's recovery was hampered this week by a bowel blockage. There's just something funny (and slightly disturbing) about sending a text message to siblings announcing a significant BM! Their responses (complete with emoticons) just kept the awkwardness going. Ah, the joys of caring for geriatric patients!
MISSES
  • I'm always amazed when students attempt to blame me for their technological problems. This semester has been full of such issues since my music appreciation class now uses a download card to obtain music instead of traditional CDs. These students struggle with basic literacy. Technological advancements in the classroom tend to be very difficult for them. 
  • I hate when machines begin to break. Earlier this week, the check engine light appeared on my car; I was relieved when it magically went off the next day. On Saturday morning, I sat down to watch a little television in the family room. The set came on and then the screen showed a black light that enveloped on itself. The TV won't come back on at all now. I have a feeling there's a purchase that will need to be made soon.
  • Hospital stays are not conducive to getting work done. With all the running I've been doing, I'm physically and emotionally exhausted as well as feeling like I've gotten behind in all my work. Now that Dad's recovery seems to be progressing again, I'm hoping to return to my normal routine again this week and get some much needed work done before I find myself in the proverbial weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment