Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Waiting

I recently heard an outstanding message about the importance of waiting in the different seasons of our life. Because I seem to be in a perpetual state of waiting right now, the sermon especially spoke to my heart. I wanted to recount some of the points from the sermon here to keep them before my mind.

Firstly, waiting sharpens our focus. It's in the times that we find ourselves waiting that our attention is directed on God. As He draws us to Himself, we diligently seek Him and follow His direction. However, it is also in these times of waiting that our focus can become misdirected. When the waiting extends beyond our expectations, it becomes easy to instead focus on worldly voices. We become tempted to begin fixing things so we finally get a result. The only problem is that when we begin to focus on things other than God for our provision, we begin to be guilty of idolatry. No wonder the Scripture says that "I waited patiently on the Lord, and He turned to me and heard my cry for help." (Psalm 40:1, HCSB)

Our character is also developed during periods of waiting. Waiting rids us of those things that do not reflect Christ's character. Even though we may not like the waiting, this process prepares us for the blessing that God has in store for us. In one of the most meaningful lines from the sermon, the minister explained how God's waiting to act is actually an act of love since a loving Heavenly Father would not give His children a gift before they were prepared to receive it. Waiting makes sure that we are thoroughly prepared for God's plan for our life.

Lastly, waiting leads us to total surrender. As we wait, we realize that we are completely dependent on God. We are powerless to change our circumstances. It's in the times of waiting that we ultimately raise our hands in total surrender as an act of worship. When we realize we are powerless and acknowledge His authority, we finally release His power in our lives. Patiently waiting in contentment becomes an absolute act of worship.

Five years of waiting has been trying. I am so ready for the next chapter of my life to begin. Still, I am praying that God uses this waiting period to prepare me for what He has in store. I am walking in the faith that what He has in store for me is far greater than anything I could have ever hoped or imagined. He will reveal His plan for me in His perfect time. Until then, I'll continue learning to patiently wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment