Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Enjoying the Quiet

Since Dad has been in the hospital, I've not spent much time sitting at home. When I wasn't at the hospital, I was on the road or at the piano. I've been very tired as I fell into bed each night, but something else had seemed different, too. I was resting more soundly than normal and waking refreshed. I discovered that the noise in my life has been reduced tremendously because there were significantly fewer hours with a television blaring somewhere in the house!

I love a good television program as much as the next person. I make notations on my calendar so I don't miss the shows that I most enjoy. However, there is something wonderful in clicking off the noise and allowing yourself to be engulfed in the silence. I find that I am at peace in the quietness and can hear myself think.

I know the quiet won't last for long. My family feels that the television must be on whenever someone is home. Still, I have found that the silence has been a welcome haven during the uncertainty of Dad's recuperation. It has been in the silence that I have found assurance that I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment