Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Waiting, Ever Waiting

Patience is not one of my greatest virtues.  I despise waiting for people who are late to appointments.  Nothing irritates me more than waiting for someone to do things they have committed to do.  When I sit at my computer, I want it to start up faster, perform quicker, and virtually stay a step ahead of me.  I know it's impractical, but I try to follow through as soon as I can once I make a decision and I want everyone and everything else in my life to do the same.  Making the decision is not something I rush;  I want to know what I'm committing to before agreeing to anything.

I was reminded of my impatience last Friday when I made a return visit to my Alma mater.  I decided to attend my first piano studio class since graduating in 2009.  I was going because I had run into Madame Professor earlier in the week to learn that she had completed the recommendation letter I requested immediately after graduation.

I wasn't surprised that the process had taken nearly two years to complete.  Madame was never known for her punctuality.  Most of her piano students came to learn that it was pointless to arrive at any lesson on time.  She would never be ready to begin.  For several years, I consistently had lessons at the beginning of her day -- normally around 2pm.  What this meant was that I would park my butt on the floor outside her office and get in 30 minutes of reading before she arrived for my lesson.

On Friday, I stayed after class to catch up and ask about the recommendation.  Imagine my shock (Can you hear the sarcasm dripping from that word choice?) to learn that it was at her house and she was preparing to go out of town for a week.  Thankfully, I have other recommendations on file, so I am able to laugh at the absurdity of the situation.

I suggested that she simply mail the letter to me.  I told her I would scan it here so I would have an electronic form readily available.  When Madame asked if I would be able to do that easily, I had to bite my tongue!  Whether I have a scanner or not, I am confident that it will be easier to generate an electronic copy since obtaining the hard copy has been such an adventure.

So here I am -- continuing to wait.  Oh well, it's just part of life, I suppose.  I'll wait for her to return from her journey to the Northeast, call her at home the evening before going BACK to studio class, and try the whole process all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment