Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reader’s Block

Do you find yourself experiencing difficulty from time to time doing tasks that you know are beneficial to you? I am in one of those periods now, but it's been dragging on a bit longer than I would like. The issue is what I lovingly call "reader's block." Like writer's block, it is the inability to complete any reading task that I begin. It's frustrating for a number of reasons. First – and most importantly – I honestly love to read. There have been very few times since graduating from high school that I have not had my nose in a book. I believe that reading stretches the mind, introduces you to new ideas, and entertains the imagination. I have made efforts to pass my love for reading to those dearest to me in my family; thankfully, I can count four others (Mom, Patsy, Jacqs, and Kristian) that share the reading bug with me.

When I am actively reading, I will normally complete a novel in about 5 days. Sadly, things are not at that place at the moment and haven't been for some time. Summer is normally a season of incredible reading and enjoyment. This year, I have only read 3 books since July 1; the last of them was completed on August 2. (Yes, I can be very detailed about these dates. I set a reading goal for myself each year as part of my New Year's resolutions and keep a list of the works I read. You'll probably see a complete list of my readings at the end of the year here on the blog.)

It's disturbing to me that I haven't finished a book in over a month. It's not that I haven't tried. Actually, I have started four separate books since that time, but nothing is able to grab my attention. I've gone into non-fiction, inspiration, and beach reads….nothing works. I know that the last month has been stressful for me; that's part of the reason I am so upset that I'm not reading! Reading a good book transports me to a different place where someone else's problems become the focus of my thoughts rather than the reality of my own life. In a way, I guess you can call it an escapist tendency.

What do you do when you find yourself wanting to complete a task, knowing that it will be beneficial to you, but still can't find the motivation to complete it? I'm getting so desperate at the moment that I may even try to read *gasp* science fiction!

For now, I'm going to watch a little television, get ready for tonight's recital, and hopefully find a new book to start that might bring this reading drought to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment