Friday, September 3, 2010

Good News In the Pit

Last Sunday, Pastor brought a great word about Life in the Pit that was based upon the Biblical account of Joseph's life found in the book of Genesis. Throughout the week, I have found myself returning to this familiar story and considering its implications to my life. I wanted to share with you a bit of what I have come to understand.

The pits are a part of life. No matter how much we would like to avoid finding ourselves in these unpleasant times, all of us will spend some time in the pit. While our time in the pit may be the result of another's actions, most often we will find that we are responsible (at least partly) for the circumstances that led us into the pit. I must admit that I struggled with this idea at first. As I looked at the life of Joseph, I never thought that Joseph had any real responsibility in his brother's actions. As I continued to ponder the story, however, I came to see that there may have been some pride in Joseph's life that drove his brothers to tossing him in the pit. His colorful coat was a constant reminder to the other eleven brothers that Joseph was the favored one – the one on whom Jacob lavished his gifts. No wonder the brothers were jealous of Joseph! Joseph didn't make any effort to ease their anger either; he wore the coat every chance he got. The brightly colored coat is probably why his brothers were able to recognize him as he approached from a distance. (see Gen. 37:18)

Life is sometimes a roller coaster. As we look at Joseph's life as a whole, it becomes clear that his circumstances shifted from extreme highs to the deepest lows. Consider these highpoints of this story. He is favored by his father and received a treasured gift. This makes his brothers so jealous that they throw him in a dry cistern. When he finally escapes the pit, he is sold into slavery in Egypt. His master is kind to him, but the master's wife lies about Joseph and he lands in prison. While in prison, he receives favor with the jailer and the respect of the other inmates. Sadly, they forget all about Joseph when they are finally released from jail. Can this be real? Joseph's emotional state could have easily been tossed about with each new situation. He could have easily fallen into depression and thrown a huge pity party for himself. I think Joseph discovered something else – a secret – while he spent time in the various pits that plagued his life.

Even in the pits, there is good news! This revelation has meant the world to me this week and I hope it will be a source of encouragement for you too. The writer of Genesis constantly points out some shimmer of hope when describing Joseph's circumstances. Notice these verses from the narrative; emphasis has been added by me. "They [his brothers] took him and threw him into a cistern. Now the cistern was empty; there was not water in it." (Gen 37:24) "Now Joseph had been taken down to Egypt. Potiphar….bought him from the Ishmaelites who had taken him here. The Lord was with Joseph and he prospered…." (Gen. 39:1-2) "But while Joseph was there in the prison, the Lord was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden." (Gen. 39:21) It would have been so easy for Joseph to simply focus on the negative aspects of his circumstances. Rather, Joseph chose to notice the positive aspects of his situations. Sure he was sitting in a pit, but at least he wasn't going to drown there since there was no water! Yes, he was a slave, but he was prospering while in Potiphar's house. If we can learn from Joseph and focus our attention on the positive aspects, even the most dreadful situations become hopeful.

My mind immediately traveled back to the life of the Apostle Paul. Paul was plagued throughout his life by a "thorn in the flesh." This unnamed trouble could easily be considered a lingering pit in the life of Paul. While he prayed repeatedly for the Lord to remove the pit, God chose not to give Paul the answer for which he hoped. Rather, God gave Paul these words of comfort and endurance: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (II Corinthians 12:9) What a peaceful thought! Even while Joseph was in the pit, God's ever-sufficient grace was present, making his circumstances bearable. The same promise holds true in our circumstances. In our deepest points of despair, our Heavenly Father promises that He does not desert us and makes our load light. I pray that Paul's response may become my personal song as I face life's pits: "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (II Corinthians 12:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment