Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Choose Joy!

It appears as though my writing over the last few days has been leading to this post.  I awoke this morning and realized that I'm tired of the emotions that I have been experiencing recently.  After some thoughtful and prayerful meditation, I looked at myself in the mirror and simply said, "I choose joy."  This post will primarily serve as a personal reminder of the truths I learned today; in the process, I hope that they will act as a source of encouragement to you as well.

Stuff happens.  It's that simple.  Life comes at me with its good times and bad.  Friends will fail, opportunities will pass me by, dreams will be shattered, and I will be offended.  Like it or not, it's simply how the world works.  These things are beyond my control.  Rather than emphasizing what I am powerless to change, I want to focus on what I can do.

I choose joy!  My response to situations is the key to how circumstances effect me.  If I focus on the negative things against which I am powerless, I will respond with a negative attitude.  When I find the positive aspects of every situation, I will begin to respond in a more joyful manner.  Even as I write this now, I admit that it seems overly simplistic, almost a "pie-in-the-sky" approach to life.  Yet there is a Biblical parallel.  In the book of Deuteronomy, Moses tells the people "I'm calling for Heaven and earth to give witness against you this very day.  I'm offering you the choice of life and death.  You can choose either blessings or curses.  But I want you to choose life."  (Deuteronomy 30:19, NIrV)  It's really that simple.  In every situation, our response is a choice we can make.  Making that choice, however, is dependant upon our focus.

A Matter of Focus.  So what will you focus on:  the situation that brings you down or the One who promises to be with you always?  Will you allow the betraying lies of a formerly-trusted colleague to tear you apart or focus on the One who declared Himself as Truth that came to bring you freedom?  Rather than fretting over the missed opportunity that could have fulfilled my dreams, I choose to trust in the One who declares that He has plans for me that will bring me success and hope for years to come (Jeremiah 29:11). 

Check your focus with me today.  Let's agree together to keep our eyes on Jesus and allow His joy to become the source of our strength in the most difficult times (Nehemiah 8:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment