Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Knick Knacks

In my home, every nook and cranny is filled with some sort of knick knack.  I have always detested those two words because of their sound as well as what they signify.  I never understood WHY anyone would collect random items that held no significance.  My parents have gathered many knick knacks over the years.

Dad's items of choice are bottles of various types and salt-and-pepper shakers.   The bottles are the most frustrating to me.  We have six pack cases of unopened soft drinks that are identical in style and not entirely out of the ordinary.  Why keep all six?  Doesn't one hold its place in the collection?  The salt-and-pepper shakers come in all varieties as well.  Dad has everything from cows and milk jugs to snowmen and Aunt Jemima.  I admit that I have added to this collection myself; not knowing what else to give my Dad, I brought back a set of hula dancers from Hawaii last spring.

Mom's collections are cyclical.  We went through the "shadow box" period -- anything that was in miniature form was something she wanted.  I think she finally came to her senses when she had to take everything out and dust the boxes as well as each minute item.  My family later went through geese season.  There were ceramic birds everywhere:  in the bathroom, on the kitchen counter, and randomly sitting in the living room floor in front of the television.  The birds have migrated north although a few of them still have nests in our home and simply refuse to leave.

While I have tried to avoid my parents' compulsion for knick-knacks, I must confess that I have picked up their habit of collecting.  I have two collections:  decorative plates and various poster prints.  Fortunately, my collections are rather small at this time.  I have 3 plates that are hidden at the back of the corner shelf in the dining room -- a catch-all space in the house.  So far, I have managed to keep the plates specified to those that are related to musical themes.  The prints are simply things that I like.  Most of them are either framed prints of shows that I have done or places that I have visited.  I do look forward to the day that I have my own home where I can display this more sizable collection in an appropriate way.

I suppose knick-knacks tell a story in themselves.  They reveal a bit of the collector's story while holding treasured memories that can be passed down for generations to come.  Perhaps it's time I spend an afternoon revisiting my parents' knick-knacks and listening to the stories associated with each of them.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I have moved quite a few times in the past 6 years, 4 times to be exact, and 2 of those moves were to different states. Our last move from PA to CA made us cut down on our possesions a lot. We both like clean, clutter free space...but he has a HUGE collection of movie posters and horror movie related "toys". Most of those things are at his mom's house on the east coast still. We are waiting until we get a house to display them properly too. I have a collection of photo's- I love them, but at least they are small and easy to contain and store. I hate dusting, so it was fairly easy for my to de-clutter before our move to CA, I just asking myself, "Do I want to pack, unpack, and dust this?" If the answer was NO thn it went to yard sale.

    Do you ever post photo's with your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortney -
    Thanks for your comment. I completely understand the cross-country move issue. I lived in southern California while in school and made the move back to Arkansas after collecting things out there. Not a fun experience.

    I will sometimes post photos, but I am HORRIBLE at actually taking pictures. I keep my camera with me all the time, but I never pull it out. It's sad, I know. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend...as long as no one comments on the massive clutter in my house right now. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete