Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's in a Name?

One of the first decisions parents make in the life of a child is what name the child will carry for the rest of his life.  Many times parents select a name that has special significance in their family, carrying the parents' hopes and dreams for this newborn's future.

The name given to me by my parents is Kennith Terrell.  For many years I despised my name.  The unusual spelling of my first name created difficult circumstances on a regular basis.  My middle name, however, was always the major culprit of my misgivings about my name.  I did not (and continue to not) like it;  I do not find it unique and enchanting.  To my ear, it sounds as though I should be sitting in a rocking chair on the back porch of a shanty nursing a piece of hay in my teeth while holding a nondescript brown jug of liquid courage in my hand.

My perception of my name is not the same as that of my parents.  I was named after two Godly men that were important in the early years of my family:  Kennith Staggs and Terrell Bishop.  If I recall the stories accurately, both of these men were pastors at the church my family attended before relocating to the Memphis area shortly after my birth.  Over the years, I have been introduced to my namesakes but have never had the good fortune to develop a legitimate relationship with either of them.  By naming me after them, my parents forever linked me to these men and established their deep respect for both Kennith and Terrell.

By naming me Kennith Terrell, my parents were also giving voice to their hopes for my future.  In choosing my name, my parents were expressing their hope that I would live my life in such a way to bring honor to God and point a dying world to the Savior.  I don't know that their hopes included me being actively involved in ministry, but I find it interesting that I am following in the footsteps of the men from whom I take my name.

In ancient societies, children's names held specific meanings.  While the names continue to retain meaning, it is less often a major consideration today.  My first name means "Handsome One."  Even though that wasn't why the name was selected for me, it is good to know that my parents got that aspect of my name right, too!

In our society, our name continues to have a specific meaning, but its meaning is associated with our personal reputation.  Depending upon when you met me in life and how we first interacted, the name Kennith Freeman may mean "loyal friend"; "trusted confidant"; "scholar"; "teacher"; "pianist"; or "hard worker."  The truth of the situation is that our actions daily redefine our name's meaning.  I have to constantly guard my actions to make sure my name is meaning what I want it to in my corner of the world.

What meaning does your name have in your family and among your colleagues?  Reflect on the reasons your parents chose your name and how it has impacted your life.  Regardless of what your name means to those who know you now, find comfort in the fact that you can begin to redefine the meaning of your name by your actions today.  That's good news in my book!

2 comments:

  1. No one ever spells my name right either-they always put a 'U' in it. My mom wanted to name me Reannan but changed her mind when she saw me. As a child, and even to close friends and family now, I go by my nickname which is cookie. I don't know how I got that nickname. I really like my name- when I taught verbal students they called me "Ms. Cortney"- and I like it.

    Thanks for sharing this post, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Cortney. It's great to talk to someone who truly "gets" how you might get tired of constantly spelling your name for people. In college, I tried to refer to myself as "Kennith with an I", but people rarely put the strange vowel in the right place. I finally gave up and adopted "Ken."

    Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete