Friday, August 27, 2010

Comfortable in My Own Skin


From time to time, life brings weeks that are best described as rough. This week has been one of those for me. Lots of job responsibilities, disappointment, hurt, and stress have piled up in my world. So, at the end of this week, I find myself pulling away from the world for a bit and spending some quiet time alone. I'm not sad about anything really; I just need to spend some time getting comfortable in my own skin for a little while. Some would consider this self-imposed respite horribly lonely. Personally, I find solitude invigorating and refreshing.
Being alone allows me to get my thoughts in order and deal with some issues that are weighing on my mind. I am naturally an introverted person and very analytical. Finding time to just be at rest is a treasured commodity in my hectic world. These times alone are opportunities to replenish my creativity. After spending time alone, I normally experience some of my greatest times of productivity - and this time is already proving to be no different. In addition to writing a couple of pieces with which I am very happy, I have also made significant strides on several things that have been simmering on the back burner of my mind. Solitude often leads to successful ventures.
Solitude allows me to relax. Two of my greatest joys come from watching television and reading novels. For the first time in quite a while, I took the time for the past two days to completely lose myself in a story and let my imagination dream. The only bad thing is that I know that I ultimately have to return to reality. For now, though, I'm relishing the humorous world I find in literature and sit-coms.
Most importantly, solitude helps me to refocus on the things that are most important in life. When all is said and done, many of the things that cause me stress are of little importance. In my times of solitude, my heart and mind are drawn back to the source of my faith and there I find direction, peace, healing, and strength. I am reminded that the most important thing in my life is my relationship with my Heavenly Father who loves me beyond measure and cherishes these times of solitude as much as I do. It's only when the voices of the rest of the world are quieted for a while that I am able to clearly hear His voice gently singing over me. It is a beautiful song that I love to hear!
So relax, my friends, when you see me pulling away into my proverbial cocoon. I won't stay there too long – just long enough to get my bearings and find the Center of my Joy again. When I emerge, I'll come out stronger and ready for the challenges that lie ahead. Solitude is a wonderful remedy for a weary soul; you should give it a try.

1 comment: