Monday, June 27, 2016

Hits and Misses (June 19-25)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • It was great to finally be released from chiropractic care on Wednesday. Don't get me wrong. The appointments were great and relieved my pain and soreness after May's car accident. It just took a lot of time to get to all of those appointments. I'm thankful to be fully healed and able to have some of my time back.
  • This week, I decided to devote more of my time to personal entertainment and relaxation. That means I've enjoyed some great television as well as a movie and novel.
    • Early in the week, I checked out Genius in one of my favorite theaters. It was the story of the editor who befriended Thomas Wolfe and brought his great novels to the masses. I laughed and cried while finding myself encouraged. What a great look into the creative process in another discipline.
    • Television viewing this week centered around the return of my family's favorite guilty pleasure: Big Brother. We watch and scheme along with the house guests as we figure out what we would do in their situation and laugh at their stupidity along the way. After enjoying a little mind-numbing "reality TV", Mom and I checked out the premiere of American Gothic. OMG! The story of a potential serial killer coming from an upper class Boston political family is enthralling. I'm definitely hooked and can't wait to see where this mystery is going to lead. If you missed the first episode, I highly suggest you check it out online before the series continues this Wednesday on CBS.
    • This week was also a great week for my reading life. I whipped through The Last Child by John Hart. (You can read more of my thoughts on the novel over on Reading for Me.) In case you don't want to check out the review, I will keep it short....John Hart has joined my short list of contemporary authors that I read as often as I can. I couldn't put this book down and enjoyed every twist and turn that the plot brought.
  • On Saturday, people were leaving the Geriatric Ward in every direction. There was a birthday party in north Mississippi and a wedding in central Arkansas. What did that mean? Mom and I enjoyed a quiet afternoon together. We grabbed lunch and detoured to the local DQ for two dip cones. I was impressed....we ate the ice cream in the car while trailing a funeral procession without making a mess. The conversation and laughter was just what the doctor ordered for both of us.
MISSES
  • Now that I finally have my car out of the body shop, the service engine light decided to join the party. I think it's just a signal of an overdue oil change, but a trip to the mechanic is planned for this week just to make sure there's nothing else going on.
  • It has been oppressively hot in Arkansas this week! Thank goodness I am a homebody by nature, or else it would have not been a pretty sight at all.
  • I posted a meme on Facebook that I found funny that had a political overtone to it. I didn't make a huge commentary on any issue and just said it was one of the funniest things I had seen this week. Suddenly, a college friend turns it into a political firestorm that I just wanted to put to rest. I hate that we live in a society where opinions cannot be freely spoken without fear of a verbal onslaught by those who *think* their views are directly opposed to yours. But I refuse to have my online presence censored by others who don't like my posts.....and don't plan to enter into a dialogue that I didn't even raise! *Rant over*
  • The insurance saga continued this week. The check to the body shop finally arrived -- nearly 4 days after it was promised. And now I've received a pile of paperwork from another insurance company because of a claim being filed with them. Remind me why I pay monthly premiums that are so expensive if I still have to do all of the paperwork as well as constantly checking to make sure the insurance company is following through with its promises.


No comments:

Post a Comment