Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Making a House a Home

In just a few short weeks, I'll begin the process of setting up my new home in Texas. As I've been going through the process of finding a place to live, I've been thinking about what I consider important in a home. Of course, I want a clean place that is in a safe neighborhood. What I've been thinking about are those things that will make an apartment or house feel like home.

At the top of my list is music. I had briefly contemplated leaving my piano in Arkansas to make the move easier. I was simply going to rely on the instrument in my office for all of my practice needs. Then I began to think of the times I just want to relax with the soothing sounds of the piano and the times that my prayers are played rather than spoken. It became clear that my Boston studio piano will be a welcome companion on this journey.

I also need my reading nook to feel at home. I find comfort in being surrounded by the books I treasure and escaping the daily routine with an enthralling novel and a cold soda in hand. The only part of my reading nook that is currently missing is the perfect chair....and I am on a personal odyssey to locate it in the upcoming weeks. (UPDATE....I purchased a chocolate reclining chair since writing this post. The chair will be delivered at the end of the month and I anticipate spending many hours lounging in it with a good book in my hands.)

Lastly, my home has to be filled with memories. I don't tend to surround myself with photos. Instead, I find that I prefer items that spark a memory. Whether I'm lounging under an orange blanket, making dinner using utensils from my childhood home, or admiring a framed puzzle, these cherished items remind me of love and laughter while connecting me to friends and family who are not close by. After all, it's not stuff that makes a house a home; it's the assurance that the place is filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment