Monday, May 18, 2015

Hits and Misses (May 10-16)

Summer break is still a new concept for me, so I'm getting used to my more relaxed schedule. Even though it's late, here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • Mother's Day was a lot of fun. I suppose my siblings and I should be ashamed that Mom stayed home from church on Sunday morning to cook lunch for us. Truthfully, I'm not. It's what she wanted to do......so that's that. It made her happy and it was a great day.
  • The semester is over! The semester is over! I love my jobs, but I'm always happy to see the end of the term. I'm looking forward to catching up on some reading and taking in some films I've missed along the way.
  • On Thursday, I had a great phone conversation with a friend and fraternity brother from Malibu. The purpose of the phone call was "business," but it was very good to catch up with what's going on in his life. I miss talking to my brothers on a regular basis. I know I should initiate some of the phone calls myself.....but I've never been very good at that. Once the call gets started, I'm always thankful that someone took the reins and dialed the digits.
  • This week also saw the first installment of Bartlett Music Academy's "Let's Go to a Show" series. The idea is that I will make a presentation on an upcoming performance in the Memphis area and then we will all attend the show together. This weekend, we saw Playhouse on the Square's production of Kiss Me, Kate. I had a blast learning more about Cole Porter and his very interesting life. I was a little nervous that people wouldn't respond to the information, but I've heard nothing but positive feedback about the whole experience. If you're in the Memphis area, I'd love to have you join us for our next adventure as we "Go to a Show" together.
  • To close out a busy and productive week, I attended the season finale concert of the Memphis Repertory Orchestra. I thoroughly enjoyed the music by Haydn and Bruch. I tend to forget about the MRO's concerts until my schedule has gotten too full to attend, but I'm always happy when I do....and the price can't be beat! Great music by young musicians for free.
MISSES
  • I'm always shocked by the excuses students come up with during final exams. This semester, one student swore that she had written the wrong time for her piano final in her calendar. I found myself chuckling as I saw the correct time written in her music though. I'm not suggesting that she was lying.....I just found the entire situation humorous. 
  • Saturday night was a sleepless night for me. Some kind of creature was having a party under the floor of my bedroom. I knew I wasn't going to get any rest there, so I made my way to the couch in the living room. While things were quieter there, the couch has seen better days; there was no sleep for the weary.
 PROGRESS REPORT
  • Not a lot of reading for me this week at all.....
  • Cuckoo's Nest - p. 52 of 325.

No comments:

Post a Comment