Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Eureka Springs Highlights

At the end of last week, I slipped away for a quick trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  I first visited the city a few years ago and enjoyed the relaxed pace and friendly people.  This trip was much shorter but exactly what the doctor ordered.  Two things stood out that I want to tell you about in case you ever find yourself visiting Eureka Springs.

In a tourist town, food can be very expensive.  It can be hard to find a laid back restaurant that has
great food. After talking to a few locals, I found a great diner in Sparky's Roadhouse Cafe.  Conveniently located on the main thoroughfare, Sparky's is a bar and grill that features an amazing burger.  The meat is freshly ground and exceptionally moist. I had the Bistro Burger -- piled high with ham and brie. (The burger is also supposed to have mushrooms; not for this guy, though!)  All I can say is "Wow!"  With a huge side of fries and a soda, the meal was just over $10 and incredibly filling.  I'll definitely visit Sparky's on my next trip to Eureka Springs.



The absolute highlight of my trip was a session at Eureka Massage Center.  I only had one day in town, so I took a chance and emailed
Dominic Fabis to see if he might have an opening the next day.  Dominic's reply came quickly and was very helpful in providing directions.  The facility is a renovated home; the lower level has been transformed into a spacious studio.  After a brief consultation, I was treated to the best massage I have ever experienced.  The use of hot oils, aromatherapy, and deep tissue work relieved tension in muscles that I was not aware of!  Dominic was very sensitive to my comments about pressure while relying on his vast experience to identify the source of problems and address them thoroughly.  Surprisingly, this amazingly relaxing experience lasted for 90 minutes and cost only $65! I pay that regularly for 60 minutes with a much less talented practitioner in one of the spa chains.  If for no other reason than a massage, I'll certainly be planning a return trip to Eureka Springs later this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment