Wednesday, February 26, 2014

On the Road Again

I spend a lot of time in my car. While I'm still waiting, hoping, and praying for a full-time position, I'm making the best of things and piecing together a career with a few part-time jobs. On most days, I drive 85 miles one way to work. The miles add up, but I'm finding that the benefits of all of my driving greatly outweigh the negative aspects.

My drive time forces me to stay organized. It's no longer an option to run home and pick up a file that I forgot. To get everything done, I have to keep my eyes on the big picture throughout the week and constantly plan ahead. That means I'm practicing when I'm near a piano, grading papers at the computer, and returning phone calls on the road. My time has become very valuable and not something I can afford to waste.

My commute also helps me maintain my daily routine. If I'm going to make it to my next appointment on time, I have to stay on schedule. This necessity demands that I effectively manage my time and that I work smarter. I only have certain hours at MSCC; while I'm there, I have to identify tasks that need immediate attention while avoiding distractions. When I have a short break at Union, I have to identify the passage of music that will most benefit from a few minutes of practice or acknowledge that my body needs a rest before moving to my next project.

What I love most about my drive time is that I get to spend time in a personal sanctuary on wheels. As the road passes under me, I have quiet time to spend with my thoughts, my prayers, and my God. It's a wonderful opportunity to meditate on Scriptures, work out lesson plans, sort through my thoughts, or just listen to the beautiful sound of silence. My time on the road allows me to change hats and prepare for the next task that is ahead.

Don't get me wrong…..there are days that I really don't want to drive another mile. Those days are few and far between because I know that this situation is only for a season. There will come a day (hopefully in the not-too-distant future!) when I will long for the break in my work day that commuting provides. Until that time arrives, I'll keep my seat belt fastened and my cruise control set as I enjoy my quiet times traveling along the roads of Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment