Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Injustice

Few things get my dander up more than witnessing injustice. I'm not even talking about the horrible "big" things that we see on national news. I hate to see someone treated unfairly because they are low man on the totem pole or because they have no one to fight for them. I've been the victim before and know how awful it feels. I guess that's why I'm willing to make some noise when I see it happening.

One of my students is facing some unfairness right now. Let's call it what it is...injustice. In order to insure his privacy, I won't disclose any of the details of the situation. I will say that things that were assured to him by the school have not been provided. These are not luxuries either; they are essential services necessary for his success. The student asked if I had any insight into the situation or could offer ideas that might get his phone calls returned by the negligent office. I was in a furor! The student was following the protocol he had been given, but was seeing no results. He didn't know how to fight any further.

Despite some students' opinions to the contrary, I am always an advocate for students who are legitimately attempting to succeed. I told my student that I didn't have the answer, but that I could certainly raise the issue to appropriate parties until we got something done. I've been dealing with this situation for a week now. It's not necessarily how I planned to spend my week, but it has been the right thing to do. I'm just hoping that the right will prevail in this situation soon so this tender student can have the materials he needs before the semester reaches its mid-point.

No comments:

Post a Comment