Monday, April 29, 2013

A Tale of Two Servers

Whether I like it or not, my lifestyle at the moment demands that I eat most of my meals in restaurants. My waistline attests to the sad fact that most of them are eaten in the driver's seat of my car and are of the fast food variety. When I get the chance and have to eat on the road, I try to make a healthier choice in a dining establishment. I have discovered that there are good and bad servers everywhere....and I tend to get seated in their sections without fail. I never have a so-so experience with a waitperson. They are either incredibly talented or someone desperately in need of training!

Last week, I experienced both extremes during lunch services. In both cases, I was dining during non-peak hours (11am and 1:45pm) when the room was not terribly crowded. There were some similarities. In both settings, I brought along my iPad to do some light reading and was not pressed for time. The differences were in locations as well as the servers' gender and ethnicity. (I am not claiming that servers of a certain gender or race are better at their job; I simply stating the facts of these two isolated cases. The names of servers have been changed to protect the guilty as well as the innocent.)

First experience occurred in the Chili's on Vann Drive in Jackson, Tennessee.  I was seated in a booth and was promptly joined by Jeremy, a young Caucasian man, who would be helping me. Jeremy was very relaxed and full of energy. He actually plopped down in the seat across from me. Normally this would have irritated me, but Jeremy quickly began a friendly conversation and established a very relaxed environment. Once my order was taken and Jeremy left, I began to read to pass the time. A few minutes later, I look up to find that my drink has been delivered without any distraction. That rarely happens and readers (like me) really appreciate it! Jeremy walked by later while I was taking a break from reading, asked about my book, and assured me that my food would be out soon. This was turning out to be one of the highlights of my week.

Contrast that with my experience on Saturday morning at the Colton's in Marion, Arkansas. Kim, a female server of Korean decent greeted me and led me to her section. The menu was thrown at me and I was told she would be right back with my water. Having been to this establishment many times, I knew that water was not served unless requested. When she came back and I asked for a coke, Kim told me that I couldn't request another drink once I had been given water. Really? I keep my cool (surprisingly) and ask a passing server that I knew to please bring me a soft drink. I struggled for a few more minutes with Kim's thick accent, but we managed to get the food I wanted ordered. While I was reading, Kim came to the table and actually PLACED HER HANDS on my iPad, asking what version it was. She then proceeded to tell me how badly she wanted one and that since I could afford an iPad, she was sure I would leave a good tip. I abruptly ask her to check on my food and to bring the check when she delivers the plate since I won't be staying long.

I attempt to be a fair tipper, even to those servers who don't do such a good job. If you really are bad or you mishandle my party so badly without an apology, I'll lower my tip. On the other hand, if you do an exceptional job, I'm more likely to increase your tip. Both meals were around $12 and I used a $20 to pay for each. For one meal, I put down the bill and left the establishment very satisfied; in the other situation, I waited for the change, pocketed the coins and all of the bills except a single bill (of a very low denomination). I'll let you figure out which server got which tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment