Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Teacher's Pet

I have been very fortunate over the years to have done relatively well in school. I tended to be a self-motivated learner and most subjects came easily to me (though I have always struggled in science and foreign languages). Since I made good grades and was normally a compliant student, I was often labeled as the teacher's pet; I'll admit that the title was normally true. As I'm preparing for a new semester of teaching, I have been thinking about the many teachers who have influenced me over the years. Some of them were influential in my choice to pursue a career in higher education because they were excellent teachers. Others shaped my views about the importance of mutual respect between teacher and student as well as giving me lessons in what NOT to do in my classroom. If I had to narrow  it down to just one person, I would have to say that the most influential teacher in my life was Ms. Pierce.

Ms. Pierce was my second grade teacher in the less-than-stellar Crawfordsville Elementary School. Despite the low quality of education that surrounded her, I remember Ms. Pierce's class as a place where her students were always expected to perform at their highest level at all times. It was in Ms. Pierce's class that I was introduced to many of the things that have shaped me throughout my life. One of my fondest memories is visiting the library and being encouraged to read anything that caught my interest.....even if I thought it was something too hard for me. Ms. Pierce became the first teacher to truly encourage me to read as though my life depended on it; she even told me that I could make solo trips to the library (with the hall pass, of course) if I finished reading my book before it was time for the class to visit. It was as a second grader that I was introduced to the magical world that awaited in books and I think I've had my nose in a good book ever since!

The months following Christmas were especially exciting for me. It was 1980 and the Olympic Games were being held in Lake Placid, New York. Ms. Pierce used this current event to teach geography, math, and reading. I remember learning about athletes from Germany, the USSR, and Canada. When the Games finally arrived, part of our homework assignments was to watch some of the television broadcast. I still remember our excitement as my classmates and I followed Eric Haydn's 5 gold medal speed skating victories. We learned about ice hockey and watched with amazement as the Miracle on Ice unfolded before our young eyes. Now that I am older, I realize the depth of Ms. Pierce's commitment to her students as she worked to make sure that there was room in the curriculum for this significant current event. It was in that second grade class in a small Arkansas town that I began to dream about seeing the world and believed it could be a reality for me.

Ms. Pierce was also influential in tearing down barriers of racism and sexism. In a largely African-American school, this gifted teacher was quick to explore differences between black and white students while helping us to realize that we had more in common than we realized. In a city that was racially divided, it was in that classroom that I truly began to make friends of all races who would be part of my educational journey for many years to come. Ms. Pierce was also adamant that her students understand that there was no job assigned solely to a man or a woman. In her class, we all learned to sew a pin cushion for our mother as we followed the recipe's directions to make no-bake cookies. Later, she led us in creating a simple box with wood, hammer and nails. (I still haven't perfected the art of driving a nail straight, but I definitely learned a lot about taking nails OUT of wood with the claw!)

I don't know where Ms. Pierce is these days. Over the years, my family and I lost touch with some of my most influential teachers. What would I say to her today? I'd simply have to say "thank you".....for developing the thirst for knowledge, the love for books, and the positive view of the classroom that has opened so many avenues of possibility to me over the years. Your influence continues today as I strive to pass on this same love of learning to another generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment