Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Daily Grind: Drudgery or Dynamite?

Like most people, my days are filled with work.  My work day might appear different as I wear lots of hats and travel to various workplaces throughout the week.  I assure you, however, that my work can also be a drudgery sometimes.  Imagine regularly fielding questions about when you are finally going to get a real job.  I won't make this post a soapbox about the legitimacy of my profession even though these constantly expressed sentiments are often both frustrating and insulting.

The question I want to explore here is about pleasure in the workplace.  Is it possible to move things from drudgery to dynamite?  I understand that bad days are inevitable and are par for the course.  What I'm talking about are when days stretch into weeks and months that are filled with dread and irritability at the prospect of going to work.  Circumstances -- especially people that you must interact with on the job -- are beyond your ability to change.  The only thing that you can realistically change is you -- your attitude, your choices, and your spirit.  Is it enough?  Can these changes take the drab job to a dynamite one?

I have been frustrated with my work situation for some time.  It's tough trying to balance three part-time jobs, especially when I feel as though I have to leave for the next job as soon as I begin to accomplish things at the first one.  The problem is further compounded when it feels as though my expertise is questioned by those who are significantly less qualified.  I long for the day that I have a full-time position instead of three part-time jobs.

So what's a guy to do in the meantime?  Up to this point, I have chosen to grin and bear it, accepting the impact that the ignorance of others can have upon me.  Now I'm realizing that a more proactive approach is both appropriate and acceptable.  I can express my opinions professionally and with authority without developing a bad attitude.  That's something I can control.  How?  By insuring that I am taking care of myself spiritually and emotionally.  I have a tendency to want everyone to like me.  Here's a news flash for you -- THEY DON'T!  They never have and they never will.  I can either perform my job with mediocrity to save their fragile egos from being offended or I can perform the tasks that I have been hired to do with the greatest level of excellence I can muster.  If you know me very well, you know that excellence in all things drives me.  If you want to send me packing, stifle my input -- especially in areas that I can make significant and insightful contributions.

When I push myself to be the very best, I find excitement and joy in the challenge.  Often I have wondered how I would know when it's time to move on professionally.  I thought the answer lay in my happiness; now I am thinking that the challenge is more important.  In the midst of difficult circumstances, I can find happiness as I am allowed to challenge myself to be all that I was created to be.  Once that creative freedom is taken away from me or significantly shut down, that's when it's time to move on and find my next opportunity for growth and happiness in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment