Wednesday, September 28, 2016

No Substitute

I am person of routine. I like things the same way and I tend to use the same products all the time. Occasionally, I find that a substitution is acceptable. To save a little money, I'll use generic drugs. If the restaurant doesn't have Coke, I'll have a Pepsi instead. (I may cringe on the inside, but I'll still drink the soda.) I'm even okay with substituting a weighted key keyboard for my beloved piano in certain situations. I know.....I know......

But there are some things that simply cannot be substituted. Instant potatoes simply cannot replace the luxurious creaminess of Mom's whipped potatoes. Not just any blanket will suffice when I'm feeling bad; I need my orange Pepperdine throw to get me through. When I'm having a really bad day (or bad weeks as the case has been lately), nothing and no one can substitute for a comforting conversation with Mom.

I have plenty of good friends who offer hugs and comfort. They know how to make me laugh and genuinely care about me. But their best efforts still don't come close to a long talk with Mom. You see, my Mom is my best friend. Even though I was her last child, our relationship transformed when I returned home to complete my graduate work. As an adult, I was able to share thoughts and stories while still respecting her role as parent. Mom is also one of the most compassionate people I know. She patiently listens and is able to offer quick insight and wisdom that I may have overlooked in the midst of a stressful situation. I always know that she loves me without question and will always come to my defense and aid when necessary. Probably most comforting to me is the knowledge that my Mom has always been and will always be a prayer warrior. Mom has practiced the art of praying for her children throughout our lives, asking God to protect us from harm when we made less-than-wise decisions and to guide our steps as we looked for the next action to take. I am confident that most of the major points in my life have been covered by the fervent prayers of my loving, Godly mother.

Sitting down with Mom face to face isn't a possibility at the moment. I have responsibilities in west Texas that don't permit me to sneak away. My parents aren't able to make the trip here at the moment -- and even if they did, I don't know that I would have much time to sit with them. So for the moment, I'll just have to settle for phone calls wedged in between appointments and let that suffice. But I'm definitely getting homesick and looking forward to the next time I get to sit down and have a heart-to-heart talk with her while no one else is around. For now, I'll just count down the days until late November and my next trip home..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment