Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Deserted Island

This week, I was introduced to an ice breaker that I had never played before in quite this way. The question of Deserted Island is pretty simple:  If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 books, 3 movies, and 3 TV series would you want to take with you? I thought it would be fun to share my answers here.

Books: This answer was probably most difficult for me. If you've seen the number of books in my apartment, you can figure out why! If forced to narrow my selections to just 3 works, I suppose I would have to choose....
  • To Kill a Mockingbird. It has always been one of my favorite stories since first reading it in preparation for my freshman year at Pepperdine. Plus, it reminds me of home in many ways. And what can compare to the drama in the courtroom as Atticus defends the downtrodden with class and incredibly daring morality?
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. This novel is single-handedly response for my love of American literature. I love the comedy and wit that Twain provides in this coming-of-age story that is all about the search for self-identity and freedom. I'm always amazed when someone tells me they have never read the book. I can't imagine my life without it!
  • Les Miserable. It's an epic tale that would occupy lots of my time. I can hear the score from the musical playing as I read the various scenes. Plus, I like pondering the choices that Javert, Marius, and Valjean face against the backdrop of the Revolution.
TV Series: This was an easy choice for me. My 3 selections are....
  • Lost! It took me a season to figure out what all of the hype was about, but once I did, I was hooked! John Locke is still one of my favorite characters in all of television.
  • The West Wing. I love political drama, and this one originally aired during a really interesting time in modern history. I recently watched the entire series again and was impressed to see how relevant the piece remains a decade later. Any chance we could convince Jed Bartlet to run for re-election in 2016?
  • Scandal. There's simply no better show on television. Shonda Rhimes is a master.
Movies: This was a little more difficult for me since I don't really watch as many films as I would like to. Off the top of my head, I would be forced to choose....
  • Top Gun. It's always been a favorite. And it's the film that made Tom Cruise a household name.
  • Star Wars. A classic good-versus-evil film with fun special effects. It's just about time for me to take another journey to a galaxy far, far away!
  • Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. What can I say? I really love this old black and white film. It's another part of my fascination with political stories.
Now it's your turn! I would love to hear some of the books, television series, and movies that you would want to take along to your personal deserted island. Share in the comments (if you dare!)

No comments:

Post a Comment