Monday, September 19, 2016

Hits & Misses (September 11-17)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • It felt great to get a bit of rest this week. Evening rehearsals for Little Shop were not happening because of the Theatre Department's Shorts XX this week. It made the days a little busier since we had to fit rehearsals into any available slot, but it also meant that I was getting to bed at a normal hour. We got the work done and I'm feeling more rested -- although I'm not sure the same can be said for our student cast!
  • I've had a lot of fun piano lessons this week. Students arrived ready to play and we were able to do some solid work as a result of their preparation. It's always more exciting to work on music when everyone knows the basic notes and we can start working on the bigger ideas that the compositions hold.
  • The weekend brought WBU's Homecoming. It was a busy weekend, but it was filled with a lot of enjoyable activities. It was thrilling to see the excitement on the faces of alumni who returned to Plainview for the festivities. Their fond memories and love for the people here were a perfect reminder of what a great place this truly is. I've heard it said several times this weekend that even though you might not be a WBU alumnus, once you've come to this place, it forever holds a place in your heart. I'm beginning to agree with that statement in my own life.
MISSES
  • The music in Sunday morning's service was frustrating for me. I loved the songs and the congregation worshipped, but the band just couldn't get it together. I don't know what was going on! Thankfully, that's one of those things that those of us on the stage realized was happening, but the congregation never knew.
  • When I got a text message late Sunday night letting me know that our rehearsal schedule would have to undergo major revisions because of the lack of advanced scheduling for Shorts, I was afraid we were in for a long week. Once a plan is made, I really hate having to change it at the last minute. I suppose I'm just a creature of habit who likes my routine once I know what's coming. In the end, the situation wasn't as bad as I had feared, but the early part of the week saw a lot of smoke rising from the ears of the music team and cast of Little Shop.
  • Stressful days are inevitable, but sometimes we face days that are extremely tense due to circumstances beyond our control. I found myself spending more time in prayer this week than normal. I just hope that the week ahead will be filled with a lot more peace for me and everyone else in my world.
  • At Wednesday night's rehearsal with the praise team, we began using the church's new in-ear monitors. Personally, I've always hated these things! Inevitably, something happens during performance that causes me grief -- the monitor falls out of my ear or the levels are far too loud or too soft. I'm trying to be a team player and use the monitor system, but I'm kicking and screaming most of the way. Maybe my opinion will change after a few weeks of working with them.

2 comments:

  1. I HATE IN-EAR MONITORS. They aren't so bad for instrumentalists (IMHO), but they are anything but helpful for vocalists. Several involved with the MusMin at our church keep urging me to use them, but I have no reason nor desire to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Logan! When I was in Memphis, my team kept asking for them as well. I was so glad in that moment that the budget wasn't there to even consider the system. I just couldn't stand the thought of not hearing things in real time with the real acoustics. I guess I'm just old-fashioned.....yeah, that's it!

      Delete