Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Hits & Misses (August 28 - September 3)

Since Labor Day was Monday, I decided to take the day off from blogging as well. So here's the look back at the week that was....a few days later than normal!

HITS
  • The week began with a very special service at College Heights. I've grown up in the church all of my life, so I have seen Deacon Ordinations many times. This particular ordination service was touching as the nine men gave their personal testimonies of their spiritual journey before gathering on the stage with their wives. The end of the service was what I loved the most. As these couples sat on the stage, the members of the congregation flowed around the stage and prayed over each of these couples. Pastor had asked me to provide underscoring for this portion of the service, so I had a most unique perspective of the proceedings. It was clear that the congregation trusted and supported their leaders; seeing and hearing their sincere petitions for Divine direction was a beautiful sight to behold.
  • The Fall musical is here! Auditions have been completed and we have a great cast. Rehearsals started on Friday afternoon and we'll get into full swing once we return from Labor Day break. Long days are in my future, but Little Shop of Horrors promises to be a rewarding and fun experience. I can't wait to dive back into working in musical theater again.
  • This week saw a couple of rehearsals with colleagues as well. It's such a rewarding experience to make music with professionals on a regular basis. Worked a little Rachmaninoff and Villa-Lobos with Dr. Kim Brown in preparation for her upcoming engagement with the Plainview Symphony. Dr. Anthony King and I began preparing for our faculty recital that will come in early October.
  • I've been very proud of the students in Class Piano I this week. They have started the semester with an attention to detail and a drive to learn that makes it a pleasure to teach them. There's always something rewarding about starting to work with a new group of students each year.
MISSES
  • I continued to struggle with fatigue related to not sleeping well throughout much of the week. I think it's due to the fact that it's taking me a little longer to unwind when I get home from the day. However, I'll continue to monitor it....and if things don't begin to improve, I'll have the doctor make sure there's nothing else causing the fatigue.
  • I've run into several tearful students this week. It's that initial time in the semester where stress really settles in as some of these young musicians realize just how much they have to complete before we break in December. While I want to make everything better, there's really very little I can do. Sadly, it's a lesson that every musician must learn at some point.....and often the only way to discover where the limit is is to be pushed just beyond it. So, for now I'll just watch them, offer support and encouragement when I can, and make sure that they are being covered in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment