Friday, September 30, 2016

When I Am 80....

I've been thinking about my parents a lot this week. Dad's 80th birthday is fast approaching and it has got me thinking about the aging process. What will life be like when I turn 80? I don't have a crystal ball by any means, but here are a few of the things that I have observed in the Geriatric patients that I hope will be passed on to me when the time comes.

When I turn 80, I hope that I am...
  • active and continuing to work. The Geriatrics have more energy than most people half their age. Both continue to work full-time and are extremely involved in activities during their free time. I'm always amazed at just what they can accomplish when they set their minds to it.
  • mentally acute. Mom has developed a love for pleasure reading and it is keeping her mind sharp. Dad has a memory like an elephant, forgetting nothing. Add to that their quick wit and sharp responses and you have a formula for a lot of interesting conversations in our home.
  • fun-loving. These two are up for new adventures. In the past few years, the three of us have enjoyed visiting new cities together and exploring the sights, sounds, and food that can be discovered there. The fun part is that they never turn their nose up at an idea until they have at least experienced it once. Many times, they find that the very thing they weren't looking forward to turned out to be the favorite memory from the adventure.
  • reflective, appreciative, and having no regrets. Mom and Dad both enjoy looking back over their life and focusing on the blessings they have experienced. Their lives have not been filled with luxury or perfect in any way -- they have faced many hard times -- but their focus is always on the positive. It's a great lesson to see on a daily basis!
  • confident in their faith. My parents have walked with God consistently throughout their adult lives. I don't intend to give the impression that they are saints -- they will be the first to tell you they are far from it! -- but they know their Redeemer personally and live daily with the calm assurance that He is at work in their lives and that a glorious future awaits them in eternity.
  • cherished by family and friends. My siblings and I laugh as we watch our parents interacting with people. It seems as though they never meet a stranger. What's more amazing is that people they have not seen in years continue to hold them in high esteem and seek opportunities to just sit with the Geriatric patients for a while. They have always been and continue to be the very glue that holds our family together. I can only hope to aspire to this one day.
If even a few of these things are true of me in just a few short years, I will count myself as blessed.

Have a great weekend, y'all. Cherish those around you and continue enjoying the journey as you are Livin' Life with your friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment