Monday, March 7, 2016

Hits and Misses (February 29 - March 6)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • This was an extremely busy week, but it was worth it when this semester's Opera Scenes hit the stage. The show was a lot of fun when it was all said and done. Of the five scenes that were performed, I have to admit that "The Worst One Ever" was my favorite from the beginning. I hope to see more schools picking up this charming short opera that showcases young female vocalists beautifully.
  • Before the Saturday evening performance of the opera scenes, I attended my first Friends of Music Gala. This annual event is a celebration of the School of Music and the contributions that our donors and audiences have made throughout the year. This year's gala was held on the stage of the auditorium and took its inspiration from The Phantom of the Opera. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting members of the Wayland family that I had not met yet as well as members of the Plainview community who are so supportive of our efforts in training the next generation of musicians. I have never seen an organization quite like the Friends of Music, and now I understand how truly blessed we are to have so much support from these donors at Wayland.
  • After a long week of rehearsals, teaching, and performing, a lazy Saturday was just what was needed before the evening's festivities. I lounged around on the couch and did some light reading while I simply caught my breath. I'm looking forward to a lot more mindless resting in the next couple of weeks too!
MISSES
  • With the demands of work and production week for the opera, I found that I had no time for anything else. I didn't write a single blog post. I read about 20 pages of my novel. I barely found time for any kind of devotional this week. My week was spent teaching, playing piano, or sleeping. That was it. Although I enjoy doing all of those things, I also like a few other hobbies thrown in as well. I'm thankful that things will be returning to a normal routine this week.
  • Everywhere I looked this week I saw sick people. There is a flu-like bug that is hitting the area and people are coughing and sneezing all around. I kept myself hydrated and taking daily vitamins in an effort to avoid getting sick -- at least until the opera was over. Now as things are beginning to settle down, I find myself with a dry cough, an itchy throat, and general fatigue. I'm hoping that "it" hasn't finally caught up with me, but I'm getting worried. If I continue to feel this way tomorrow (Monday), I'll probably be heading to the doctor right away. I don't want to be sick now that I have a little time off coming up!
  • I'm tired. People can be stupid. Sometimes people just don't bother to listen and think. All three of these things combined in a perfect formula to put me in a very bad mood. Sunday morning was a time of trying to bite my tongue so I didn't explode on people -- some who truly deserve a good tongue lashing, in my opinion -- and just get the job done. I'm proud of myself though....at least I recognized I was in a bad mood. There is something to be said for that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment