Monday, March 28, 2016

Hits and Misses (March 20-26)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • A four day work week because of the Easter holiday is never a bad thing. It felt great to sleep until 9am on Friday morning and just lazily lounge around my apartment for the rest of the morning.
  • I've made a point to return home each day this week for my lunch break. It was nice to casually sit quietly at home after making a sandwich and just let my mind rest. I sometimes forget how special it is to physically leave campus for a few minutes in the middle of the day. It's not always possible to slip away, but I definitely enjoy it when I can.
  • There's been a lot more laughter in my world this week. I think it has been a combination of everyone dealing with stress as well as realizing that exciting days are ahead. It doesn't hurt that the overall mood in the department is very positive and students and faculty really enjoy being together.
MISSES

  • I hate having my time wasted. Whether it is due to someone standing me up for an appointment or a perpetually unprepared student arriving for lessons 15 minutes late, wasting my time is the easiest way to irritate me. I'm still learning how to best use these small, unexpected scraps of time, but the planner in me fights against the change to my daily agenda.
  • West Texas wind storms are no joke! I had my first experience with the gusting winds on Wednesday. I learned that doors become quite heavy when there is a 45 mph wind blowing against them. I have developed the acquired taste for blowing dust. I accepted the fact that no amount of hairspray will keep things in place in these gales. I quickly realized that these winds will be respected.
  • I don't enjoy waiting. I am waiting for responses to several inquiries I've made in the past week. I know that answers will eventually come. I also know that I'm impatient. I want an answer now so I can move to plan B if necessary. I want to schedule my life now! Alas, I'll just have to keep waiting....and hoping.....and waiting. I guess waiting is all part of the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment