Friday, July 11, 2014

Unexpected Interruptions

It's all about priorities. Every day ends for me with a plan of what needs to happen the next day. Music needs to be learned, papers graded, and articles written. Despite my best plans, life happens and I find my plans interrupted. A friend calls needing to talk. A parent needs to see the doctor. In that moment, I have to re-evaluate and consider my priorities.

I wish I could tell you that the choice is always an easy one to make. But it's not. Truthfully, it rarely is! Planning and structure are such a part of my DNA that altering my plans comes at great cost to me. The problem is that I have already identified the things I deem important for the day. When I face the challenge of re-prioritizing, I know that some "important" things are not going to get the attention they deserve.

Perhaps it's a sign of my own perfectionism or some narcissistic need to achieve. Maybe I am desperately trying to control some portion of a life that typically feels as though it's spiraling out of control. Whatever the real reason, I know this much: many things I thought were important pale when the truly important things disrupt my plans.

What are those most important things? It's not the paperwork or even the music -- both things that I tend to find comfort in. It's not getting to tick items off of my never-ending to do list. The things that are most important are people. Family. Friends. Those near and far that I treasure. Those who make me a better person simply because they are willing to walk beside me, speak truthfully to me, and still love me unconditionally. Special people are the most important things that interrupt my plans.

I've not always recognized how important people are. I've been guilty of taking them for granted sometimes. I've been annoyed by their interruptions. I wonder how many amazing adventures I've missed because I didn't welcome the interruption with open arms.

I'll continue to diligently plan my life for each day. There will always be a list of prioritized tasks to accomplish. But I'm adding a new priority to my list: the unexpected interruption. I look forward to their arrival because, after all, these people are the ones I treasure and they deserve to be my priority!

I think it's time to revise tomorrow's to do list. What unexpected interruption will come? I want to make sure I'm ready for the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment