Friday, July 18, 2014

Going Through the Motions

Why do we feel it necessary to do things we don't want to do in order to appease others? I had a recent conversation with members of my family about just this topic while making plans for the weekend. They found themselves attending events out of a sense of perceived duty rather than actual desire. Why do we so often feel as though we must do things to please others?

I get the idea that we sometimes do things for the greater good or as part of a larger team. What I struggle with is investing time in activities continually that do not benefit me as an individual. Am I really going to constantly work additional hours if I'm not compensated for them? Probably not. How long do I continue in an activity that is emotionally draining just because I perceive that my presence is expected? At what point do I accept the fact that I have the right and responsibility to do what makes me happy?

I'm all for living a life of service. I try to do things for the greater good on a regular basis. When any action becomes an act of laborious duty, however, it's time to evaluate its role in my life. The truth of the matter is that if I'm not experiencing some level of joy from my participation, I'm probably not contributing very much by just going through the motions anyway. When I come to this realization, it may be time for a significant change.  I guess the image below from Laurie Wallin (a speaker, writer, and Life Coach) sums up my feelings better than anything else:


2 comments:

  1. Kennith, this really spoke to me today. I've been weighing whether to continue with an obligation I've been a part of for the past 3 years and getting less and less joy from. This didn't necessarily make my mind up about the decision, but it definitely gave me some perspective. Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that I haven't responded sooner to your comment, but I must admit that my vacation was great! I'll be praying for you as you make a decision. It's always tough to make a change, but it is sometimes necessary for our well being. I trust that you'll find the wisdom you need to make the best choice.

    ReplyDelete