Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Headache of Healthcare

Summer is the time for doctor's visits in the Geriatric ward. Since the demands on my time are greatly reduced, it's easier to get everyone where they need to be. This year's patient is Pop. While I've been frustrated over the years that he hasn't done a better job of taking care of himself, after dealing with the healthcare headache for the past few weeks, I'm beginning to understand why.

My first complaint is the redundant paperwork that appears. Thankfully, the forms are now available online so a patient can complete them in advance. What gets me is that all the forms ask for the same information! I understand that every doctor must have access to this vital information. What I can't believe is that our technologically advanced society has not figured out a way to easily make each doctor's notes on a patient readily available universally. I would much prefer my doctor to see a complete medical history provided through official channels rather than depending on my faulty memory for vital facts.

Medicare and health insurance are a mess. On a recent visit regarding his sleep apnea, Dad was instructed to get new supplies for his CPAP. While checking out, we were asked if he would prefer a prescription to get the supplies from a vendor closer to home or from the on-site service. Since Dad likes to maintain some independence, he opted to take the prescription back across the bridge.

On the drive home, we decided to drop off the supply request. Imagine our surprise when our local vendor informed us that Medicare no longer permitted them to service Dad since he resided in the same county as the vendor. I thought I had misunderstood, so I asked for clarification. If we had lived across the county line, the supplier could serve our needs. Does this make sense to anyone? It certainly doesn't to me, but it truly illustrates the insanity of our nation's current healthcare system!

By this time, I know Pop is frustrated and embarrassed, so I keep my cool and tell him I'll figure it out for him. My phone call back to the doctor's office (part of a large hospital service) resulted in multiple transfers and endless voice mails. By this point, I don't have a lot of confidence that anyone will hear my message, much less return my call.

Imagine my relief when I meet two amazing employees of the hospital the following day who go out of their way to help. Since I had driven back into Memphis, they didn't want me to have to travel into the city again with additional information they required. I left the office with one of the women's personal cell number and instructions to send photos via text message of the equipment we need to replace. Within an hour, I receive a call telling me they have gotten all of Dad's info from the office next door and that our equipment will leave the warehouse the next morning. If I didn't want these helpful ladies to stay right where they are since they are such an asset to Memphis and their hospital, I would suggest sending them to D.C. to fix the healthcare nightmare our nation currently faces. One thing is certain -- the idiots in public office now are incapable of cleaning up the mess they created! And our national headache continues.

That's enough ranting for one post. I feel like I need an aspirin now!

No comments:

Post a Comment