Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hits and Misses (July 20-26)

Now that I've safely returned from vacation and I'm slowly getting back to my regular routine, here's a look back at the week that was.....in Conroe, Texas!

HITS

  • Getting away is always welcome! I honestly didn't do much while I was at the lake, but that was exactly what I needed. Lots of resting on the couch, feeding my face, and laughing with family without the stress of our daily lives.
  • Family time is wonderful! I adore my Texas family and always enjoy getting to see them. It's also a nice break for me because Jerry and Gail end up taking care of the Geriatric Ward for the week.....and I get a week off!  Jerry kept Dad out on the lake fishing all week (and they brought in close to 500 fish by our count) and Gail took care of the food. I simply had to run a couple of grocery runs with Mom and got to enjoy the rest of the time without any responsibilities.
  • Since we did a LOT of television watching, I got introduced to a couple of new shows to add to my viewing habits.  I got caught up on Extant and I am completely hooked!  It's amazing.  Not sure how I've missed out on Unforgettable, but I'm certainly on board now. Funniest of all, however, was Mom's revelation while driving home that she has gotten hooked on Big Brother after watching it all week in Texas.  :)
MISSES
  • The only negative of the week can be summed up simply by stating that Arkansas highways are the worst in the nation! When we headed to south Texas, we traveled through Mississippi and Louisiana to avoid storms forecast for southern Arkansas and northeast Texas. The route added a few extra miles, but the road conditions were great. On our return trip, we knew we didn't want to even attempt driving on I-40; the interstate has been under construction for what seems like an eternity and traffic congestion is par for the course. Instead, we headed north out of Little Rock to hit Highway 64 out of Bald Knob. Even though we added nearly 150 miles to the trip, we arrived at our door 9.5 hours after leaving Conroe. Compare that to our last trip...and the wasted time sitting in interstate traffic...and we saved 2.5 hours. I'd say the extra miles were worth it, but my back is screaming at me this morning!
There you have it!  Hits and Misses will return to their regular Monday postings next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment