Monday, July 14, 2014

Hits and Misses (July 6-12)

Here's a look back at the week that was.

HITS

  • The week was filled with doctor's visits, but I'm happy to say that it looks as though we got good geriatric reports all around!  Mom began using my dentist a few months ago after the butcher in West Memphis wanted to extract her teeth. On Tuesday, we learned that the treatment she had done a few months ago was successful, her gums are strengthening, and her teeth are solid. There's still some work that needs to be done, but nothing that's essential at the moment. Mom got more good news on Friday that her eye pressure is good as we continue to monitor her for glaucoma complications. Dad hasn't gotten the results of his MRI back yet, but the procedure itself went smoothly. At this point, I'm thankful for that!
  • On Tuesday evening, some great friends came for a visit to just check in and see how I was doing. It was great to laugh, reminisce, and enjoy each other's company. It was also nice to get to provide some answers about situations that had never really gotten cleared up. Robert and June, I love you dearly! Your friendship means the world to me.
  • By now, you know that I love to eat and I'm especially fond of anything Italian. This week we
    tried a new recipe for Garlic Pesto Chicken with a Tomato Cream Penne. All I can say is WOW! The picture to the right doesn't do this dish justice at all. It really turns out quite beautifully and is yummy! We'll definitely be having this one again.
MISSES
  • While Mom and Dad had good experiences with their doctors this week, I was rather disappointed with my own medical visit. I went in with some minor issues that I wanted to get checked before we leave town on vacation late next week (because there's nothing worse than getting sick when you're away from home). It became clear to me that my doctor is only interested in treating the immediate malady rather than investigating what's going on inside me and trying to help me improve the quality of my life. I'm tired of feeling as though I suffer from hypochondria and having my concerns brushed off. I'm starting the process of finding a new GP and plan to schedule a visit after our vacation.
  • I've had an insane schedule this week. Between the doctor's visits, personal appointments, and tying up loss ends as the semester draws to a close, I've been hopping. My time management skills have been put to the test and they've worked! Nothing fell through the cracks and it's all getting done.....but I'm definitely feeling the effects. Vacation could not come at a better time for me.
  • Waiting is not one of my strengths. I've spent more time than I care to admit in waiting rooms this week with my current novel (Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man). I'm waiting for news about last week's job interview. I'm waiting for the end of the semester. I'm trying to keep my cool and remain calm, but it doesn't come easily to me at all. But, here I sit, continuing to wait.
There you have it! Hope you have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment