Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Some Passions Never Die

What are you passionate about? What is that one topic that will always result in you finding renewed energy and excitement when you meet a like-minded person? For me, that passion has always been effective ministry to children in our churches.

If you've read much of this blog at all, you know that I spent the past 14 years working for a church. One of my responsibilities was overseeing the church's ministry to kids. I certainly wasn't the best director ever. I made more than my fair share of mistakes in ministry. But I can confidently say that I always wanted to give the children in the local church my very best.

As is often the case, attacks on leadership from various sides are destructive. I left that position thinking that I would never again be able to consider working with kids. The attacks were too vicious; the pain was too great. I couldn't risk opening my heart to kids again only to be trampled by adults once more.

I've been away from ministry for a year now. Hurts are continually being healed and I am continuing on my personal journey back to physical, emotional, and spiritual health. It was thrilling to see a small sign of my passion returning during a recent conversation.

While preparing to leave campus, I noticed that one of my former students (now a member of the college staff) was planning an event. The nosey person that I am asked about it and learned she was working on an event for the kids at her church. I made a comment that I had planned similar events...and that's when ideas began pouring forth.

For the next 30 minutes, we shared ideas about ministry to kids. It was such a sweet moment to experience the joyful anointing of the Spirit as we talked. By no means am I at a place where I'm ready to dive back into ministry of any kind yet, but how thrilling to realize that my days of effectiveness are not passed. New days are ahead for me. I don't know when or where they will happen, but I'm joyfully looking for them with a renewed sense of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment