Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Life Long Learning

I love school! I always have. There's such a rush in being exposed to new ideas and having the freedom to explore within the safe confines of the classroom. I suppose this explains why so many years of my life were spent as a career student . . .and the fact that foreign languages have always been my Achilles heel!

I suppose it was only natural for me to find my way to a career in education as well. Despite my complaints about the early mornings and unmotivated students, I thrive when standing before a class. I've had the pleasure of serving students in academic advising settings as well. I enjoy watching students clear hurdle after hurdle on their way to graduation.

As fulfilling as teaching is, I continue to be a lifelong learner. I long for the chance to dive back into the classroom and grapple with unfamiliar material. I adore those moments when the lecture connects unexpectedly to something I already know.

As tempting as it is, there's no time to pursue another degree. I certainly can't commit to attending a traditional class. But I can submerge myself into a couple of MOOCs for the next few weeks.

What's a MOOC? It's an exciting and inexpensive way to take classes conveniently online. Massive Open Online Classes (or MOOCs) can be found in many disciplines through multiple colleges around the world. A few years ago, I dabbled in hermeneutics via a MOOC from Southwestern Baptist Seminary. It was very interesting, but a little too focused on preaching for what I was looking for.

MOOCs tend to be shorter classes. Most last six to eight weeks. The material is presented through video lectures as well as reading assignments. While there may be quizzes or writing assignments, how much or little you actually complete is entirely up to you. With some effort, it is highly likely that you will "pass" the course; in most cases, a simple certificate of completion is sent for your personal records. It's not college credit (although credit is sometimes available if you're willing to pay a fee), but it is recognition of the stuff you've encountered in the course.

Before you think MOOCs are too stuffy, let me tell you about my summer classes. I am learning about the French Revolution, an eight week course offered by the University of Melbourne, while exploring the Music of the Beatles with the music faculty at the University of Rochester. I'm learning a lot and having fun doing it in this low stress situation.

MOOCs can easily be found through websites such as Coursera and EdX. If you still don't find what
you're looking for, do a google search . . .I'm sure you'll find something that interests you!

So what do you have to lose? Awaken your mind, expand your horizons, and once again discover the satisfaction that comes from being a lifelong learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment