Monday, June 30, 2014

Hits and Misses (June 22-28)

Here we go again with another look back at the week that was.

HITS

  • This week, I introduced Mom to online shopping. As we talked about the physical demands of weekly shopping trips, it came to light that the household items were the things she hated. They're so heavy that she doesn't buy large sizes, and their cost isn't great in the smaller sizes. I convinced her to let me order them from Walmart.com this week to see if that might make things a little easier and more cost efficient. While it's been annoying that the 5-item order has been shipped in 3 separate packages (and we're still waiting on the last one), it has been much easier. I think it will be the wave of the future here in the Geriatric Ward.
  • Along the same lines, Mom and I have agreed to try working with coupons for a few weeks to see if we can save some money. I've been shocked to find that the process of clipping coupons is actually rather relaxing in the midst of a full day. It doesn't take too much time and once you establish a process for organizing the coupons, things flow rather simply. We'll keep an eye on our savings in the next few weeks and I'll let you know how things go.
  • Big Brother premiered this week!!! My summer is complete now! I really like the cast of season 16 and the twists are out of this world. I'm ready to watch the next episode NOW!
MISSES
  • Dad went back for another visit to the ENT on Monday. We're still waiting on test results and that's rather frustrating. I got a call early Friday morning from the doctor's office asking for Dad's contact number. I gave the information, but when I spoke to Dad that afternoon he still had not heard anything and there were no missed calls on his phone. I called the nurse that afternoon, but it appears everyone had already closed up shop for the weekend. I'm really hoping to have answers from this scan before we head to the sleep center this morning.
  • As much as I hated to, I had to decline the job offer from OPSU this week. It was simply a matter of money. The salary was way too low for the job described. More importantly, I couldn't say with any degree of certainty that I could have survived on this incredibly low income. (You can read more about the job offer and my decision process in an upcoming post here.)
  • Since I turned down the job, I had to resume prepping for the fall semester. There are some things ahead that I'm not looking forward to and was hoping to avoid by taking a new job. Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. I'm trying to break things apart and do a little each day so the things I hate are a bit more manageable.
And there you have it. Here's hoping for an incredible week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment