Friday, June 13, 2014

Weighing the Possibilities


This summer, the job hunt is at the forefront of my mind. Since earning my degree, I've been piecing together a living through several part-time positions. It's not ideal, but it allows me to continue working in my field. I long for the day that I finally land a full-time position.

Even though I'm desperate for a job, I don't want to make a decision without weighing the pros and cons of the position extensively. Last week, I had a phone interview for a position that pays just over $20,000 annually. The interview went well and I know I'm a contender for the job. (Actually, I was offered the position a few years ago and declined because of "red flags" everywhere.) After the phone call, I continue to have some trepidation.

UPDATE: I received an offer for the position on Friday afternoon, June 6. This post was written earlier that morning and remains in its original form.

During the interview, I was informed that finalists will not be brought to campus. The position will be offered "site unseen." Numerous references have been made to the extreme rural setting. Honestly, all of this talk has sounded more like a warning to me. I'm all for being adventurous, but I don't see myself agreeing to sign a contract and move having never visited the locale before. My immediate question was what are you hiding? I don't think the intention is to deceive, but it certainly feels as though there is more going on here than I am being told!

The other signal in my head is the timing. In 2012, I was offered the job without an interview in late July -- mere weeks before classes started. Now, the job is being interviewed at the very beginning of the season. With lots of other applications out for jobs I would like to obtain, am I really going to verbally accept a position that I have reservations about? Truthfully, I submitted this application with the thought that it would be a back-up plan -- a last resort, of sorts -- if nothing else was offered.

All of this may be entirely premature. No offer has been made yet. Still, I have to wonder if it's a responsible act to turn down a position I am not certain is a good fit for me when I've been on the hunt for five years. Or is it foolishness to think something better will come alone. At the beginning of this summer without a steady income, I'm feeling desperate; keeping a level head is proving to be challenging. Prayers for wisdom, discernment, and direction are greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment