Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Only in Arkansas


I have spent most of my life living in Arkansas. For all its natural beauty (though there isn't much in my part of the state), I often refer to it as "the armpit of America."  (I suppose "the fuzzy navel" might be more anatomically correct though.)  As I was driving across the state for a quick getaway, I began to think about some of the things that make Arkansas a unique experience.

  • Only in Arkansas is it considered appropriate to display a red hog everywhere! Household banners flap in the wind, overweight women parade about with a pig plastered across her chest, and every man has owned a Razorback cap at some point.  When my high school class visited former President Reagan in his Los Angeles office, we presented him with a hat in the shape of a Razorback.  (Cue the music now....."black gold, Texas tea.....")  Today, I saw a hog plastered on a toilet seat.  Really?!?!?!
  • Only in Arkansas will you find such eloquently named locales like Greasy Corner, Toad Suck, and Piggett.  Do we really need to ask why the rest of the nation laughs at us?  "Where are you from?"  "Arkansas."  "Really? Little Rock?"  "No, I live in Hog Jaw. It's about 2 hours west of Little Rock."   In case you think I'm making this stuff up, visit Funny Town Names.  Lots of states have them, but Arkansas has more than its fair share of humorous city names.
  • Sooooeeee Pig!!!!!  Enough said.  Only in Arkansas are our institutes of higher learning associated with their accurate imitation of a dying farm animal in heat!
Thankfully, despite the many strange -- dare I say, embarrassing -- things associated with the state, I have found that Arkansas is home to some of the nicest folks you'll find anywhere around. Thankfully the kissin' cousins of lore and the Washington clowns are not a true representation of our people.  (Did you really think I would leave Bill & Hill out of this little Arkansas rant? Not on your life!)

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget Oil Trough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oil Trough! I didn't think about that one. What is that supposed to mean anyway? Are Razorbacks rolling in black gold now?

    ReplyDelete