Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Revisiting Past Mistakes



Have you ever wished you could go back in time and do something all over again? Maybe you've learned from past mistakes and would like a chance to get it right. I know that I have made lots of errors in life. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could simply yell, "Do over!" and get another shot at things.

A few days ago, I received a call from a friend who has accepted a position as worship minister. Since I served in that capacity for 14 years, my friend called to ask for advice and suggestions. We talked about everything from song selection to rehearsal scheduling. As I continued to reflect on my time in ministry, I was reminded of the many mistakes I had made over the years. Most of my mistakes were not related to music; my failures came in handling people and criticism. I really wish I could go back and do some things differently. I would be much more quick to admit when I had been offended. I would stand up to confrontational people in a loving spirit rather than helplessly withering under their viciously abusive attacks. I would be more patient with those who expressed preferences and opinions about music, worship, and life that were different from mine. I would find a mentor with whom I could freely share my hurts, questions, concerns, and frustrations. I wonder if I had learned these lessons earlier in my ministry and handled some things differently if I would still be actively involved in music ministry today.

Alas, none of us can turn the clock back and take a second stab at past mistakes. The only thing we can do is admit our failures to the One who sees all, ask for forgiveness when necessary, and move forward. It's all part of the process that is spiritual growth. Facing our mistakes is never something we enjoy, but we are certainly made better when we come to terms with our failures. It's only in admitting our errors that we learn how to become better people, ministers, and Christians. For now, I'll continue to look in the proverbial mirror and carefully examine what I find there.

No comments:

Post a Comment