Monday, June 23, 2014

Hits and Misses (June 15-21)

Here's another look at the week that was.

HITS

  • Father's Day was a great day in the Geriatric Ward. There was lots of laughter and joy around the table as we celebrated Dad. We're thankful to still have him with us and treasure the times we all get to be together.
  • My sister and her oldest daughter headed to Youth Camp in Mountain View, Arkansas this week. That meant that the youngest grandchild joined the crazies in Crawfordsville. It really was a lot of fun having Sara around. We got to go shoe shopping as well as an "interesting" trip to the store for Pop. We were just happy to get to add ice cream to the shopping list! It's been a joy to see what a difference a few years have made and how Sara's growing up into a responsible young woman.
  • I was without use of my piano for several days this week (more on that below), but the great people at First Baptist Marion, where I've been attending church for a while, allowed me to spend a few hours in the sanctuary getting some practice done. It was great to rehearse in a different space on a different instrument. It was a little funny playing Chopin, Clementi, and Bach while the sanctuary was being vacuumed, but I have done stranger things over the years.
MISSES
  • After Mom and I went to church and lunch on Sunday, we still got home early enough that I could get some practicing in before everyone arrived in Crawfordsville for Father's Day. While practicing, I went to do a black key glissando with my right hand when something didn't feel quite right. I looked down and realized that one of the black keys was sliding along with my hand.  Not a happy thing when I really need to get some practicing done.
  • I called the music store on Monday morning to arrange for a technician to come do the repair. When 24 hours had passed and I still hadn't heard from Amro, I started searching the Internet for the technician's contact information. That was harder to find than you might expect. I know his first name, but never remember his last! When I finally found it, I called him directly and got set up for a visit on Thursday.  Imagine my surprise when Amro FINALLY decided to respond to my message late Wednesday afternoon. It's probably a good thing that I was in the supermarket at the time or I would have probably said a few more things in a not so gentle way about the poor customer service they have displayed recently.
  • Since I wasn't able to practice, I took the time to finally sit down and watch Gravity. I've had the rental for a while now, but just never got around to putting the DVD in. I was underwhelmed and glad that I had waited for the rental. I suppose the visual images were good, but I really didn't think the film lived up to the all the hype it had received.
  • Now that summer school is nearing its halfway point, I am really starting to feel the effects of only teaching 2 hours each week. The days at home are long. I'm not bored (yet), but it seems as though each day drags on and on. At least I'm getting some things accomplished though.
There you have it.  Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment