Monday, June 16, 2014

Hits and Misses (June 8-14)

Let's take another look at the week that was.

HITS

  • On Tuesday, I accompanied Dad to an appointment with an ENT to discuss his hearing loss. Dr. Long was very informative and verified what we already knew. Since I was in the exam room, I was able to be proactive and begin lining up the next steps in trying to solve the problem. We have several tests coming in the next few weeks, but I'm hoping that we'll have hearing aids by the end of summer.
  • I made a trip to Guymon, Oklahoma this week to check things out and see if I could actually imagine myself living there for a few years. I was pleasantly surprised to find that things were better than I had imagined. Sure, the place stunk and there were cows everywhere you looked. My allergies were going crazy between the blowing dust and rolls of hay. Still, it was nice to know that this town in the middle of nowhere was not ENTIRELY devoid of civilization. Now I have to do some number crunching and determine if the job offer is feasible for me.
  • Black out curtains are a blessing from Heaven! While away, both hotel rooms were extremely dark and I slept soundly and deeply. Since there was no work room just on the other side of my bedroom wall, I slept until nearly 9am (or later) both days and got some much needed rest.
MISSES
  • As I'm writing this post, I am exhausted because of the long drive that I experienced this week. It took almost 12 hours to reach Guymon on Wednesday. After driving around the town and surrounding areas on Thursday morning, I drove to the OPSU campus to meet with members of the fine arts faculty. By 2:30, I was on the road again in order to make sure I was back in Arkansas for Father's Day.  After waking in Tulsa on Friday morning, I decided to drive over to Eureka Springs for one more night of rest before returning to the chaos of the geriatric ward.
  • When I arrived in Eureka, I learned that Blues Fest was happening this weekend, so there were absolutely no vacancies to be found! So I stopped for a quick lunch and an ice cream cone before hopping back on the road.
  • I left Eureka just 30 minutes before I could have been home if I hadn't taken my detour. Instead, I drove an extra 5 hours. I made the choice, now I'm paying the piper!

No comments:

Post a Comment