Friday, June 27, 2014

My Horrible Church Camp Experience

Camping season is here. Many kids are attending camps of all types this summer. While growing up, I attended church camp outside of Mountain View, Arkansas. I enjoyed meeting up with friends from around the state each year despite the oppressive heat and the high population of critters. As I grew, the negative aspects of camp quickly outweighed the joy I might experience.

When I accepted a position in children's ministry many years later, I decided it was time to give summer camp another shot. I had long recognized the positive influence the camping ministry could have on the life of a child. I simply hoped that my perspective would be different as a member of the staff.

I agreed to direct music for a pre-teen camp in Tennessee. Little direction was provided, so I set out to work and put together the best plan I could. When I arrived at the campgrounds, I was informed that I would also be serving as a cabin leader. I hadn't prepared for this massive responsibility at all, but I wanted to be a team player and agreed to help out.

As the week progressed, I found myself constantly trying to wrangle all of these 12-year-old boys. When I went to the director for help, I was told that I had been assigned all of the campers no one else wanted to deal with. In addition to campers with special needs and medical conditions, I learned that several of the boys in my care dealt with severe anger issues. While these facts were known by camp staff, no one thought it advisable to inform the adult who was directly responsible for their care. When one of the campers had to be rushed to the ER because he had broken the hand he smashed into a concrete wall, I was suddenly accused of neglecting my responsibilities as a cabin leader. (Did anyone notice that I was also trying to direct the music for this camp? Too many hats for one head!) I was insulted and furious. In that moment, I knew that I would never participate in a summer camp again.

So, I'll encourage kids to go to camp. I'll help transport them there and supply financial assistance if needed. I'll just have to think long and hard before ever returning to camp as a staffer. That one horrible, nightmarish week was enough to make me skittish for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment