Monday, June 29, 2015

Hits and Misses (July 21-27)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • I FINALLY HAVE A FULL TIME JOB!!!!!!!!!! That's the best hit of the year. On Thursday afternoon, I was offered the position of Assistant Professor of Piano at Wayland Baptist University. I gave my verbal acceptance immediately and now I'm just waiting for the contract to arrive so I can return it. It's been a long process, but I'm thrilled with the opportunity and I'm really looking forward to getting to work in August.
  • It's also been a week of good health reports here in the Geriatric Ward. Mom got a good review from her follow-up visit with the cardiologist. I got good reports from both the dentist and my routine lab reports. 
  • Summer is here and that means that Big Brother has returned! It's a guilty pleasure for my family and a fun way for all of us to stay connected as we watch the same reality show several times a week. After most shows, we begin to blow up the text messaging apps and share our thoughts about who is insane and who needs to be evicted immediately!
  • I sometimes forget the joy that I get from having good office supplies on hand. I'm still enjoying the mechanical pencils and refill leads that a student gave me as part of a recital gift. I hate to use any other writing utensil now.
  • The week ended with a baby shower for Jack Andrew! There were lots of great gifts -- with TONS of clothes -- given to Jacqs and Shane in anticipation of the arrival of our little bundle of joy. As much fun as we had seeing the gifts, I think Carlene and I really had more fun watching Shane as he opened the gifts. He was absolutely giddy with excitement. By the way, Jacqs is ALL BABY at the moment.....and there is no way that child is going to wait until August to make his appearance! I'm putting my money on mid-July. Besides......Jack has to come before I leave for Texas because I am going to be his FAVORITE UNCLE. (I promise that this will be our little secret, Jack!)
MISSES
  • Nighttime visits to the ER are never fun. Mom woke me on Tuesday morning at 1am telling me she was having another serious heart palpitation and needed to go to the hospital.  I got her to Methodist University and saw a nurse. Since the EKG came back clear, they didn't classify her as a high priority. It was nearly 4am before we got to a room and then another hour before we spoke with a doctor. We were finally discharged at 10:30 on Tuesday morning with very few answers of what was really going on....just some vague ideas about what "might" be causing the problems. 
  • After getting no sleep the night before, teaching piano lessons was challenging to say the least. Thankfully, my students had practiced and were prepared. I don't really recall much that I said to them on that day and hope that my instructions were somewhat coherent. By the time Saturday rolled around, I was exhausted from a stressful week and the emotional roller coaster that followed sharing the news of my job offer with the world. I made it through a long day of teaching without any problems, but I found myself constantly wondering what I could do to best prepare these kids for my departure. (Isn't it funny how invested teachers become in the lives of their students? I suppose that's proof that I love the educational process and it's what I was created to do.)
  • After I came down from the excitement of accepting my job, the stress arrived as the reality of a major move set in. I have to pack up my entire life in the next four weeks, determine where I'm going to live, and get settled in so I can start work. There's so much to do! Now we're going to see how well my organizational skills will serve me. I began packing books on Friday afternoon and plan to get a lot of these "non-essentials" boxed up this week while making plans for the rest of the move. It's going to be a busy few weeks, but I'm still really excited about the move......I'm just not looking forward to the packing.
PROGRESS REPORT
  • While I was patiently waiting for the official job offer to come from Wayland (Thanks, Crittenden County background checks for making my week stressful!), I got quite a bit of reading done.
  • Brooklyn - COMPLETED - p. 262 of 262
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling - COMPLETED - p. 341 of 341
  • Masked Innocence by Alessandra Torre - p. 116 of 296

No comments:

Post a Comment