Friday, July 3, 2015

Boxes Everywhere

This year, my July 4 celebration is not being marked with fireworks. I'm celebrating freedom with moving boxes. It's hard to believe that I will be leaving my home in less than a month to begin the next chapter of my life in west Texas. I hate packing and have to admit that it feels a little overwhelming, so I decided to get started right away and hope that a slower pace makes the process more manageable. This week, I hit my library and began boxing up books. This is the point where I feel I need to sit in a circle and begin my comments with "My name is Ken and I am obsessed with books." I suppose it is a problem that comes with many years of school -- not to mention a degree in English literature -- and a love for a good story. So far, there are 25 boxes filled with novels and reference books in front of my bookshelves; one bookcase still needs to be packed as well as random books lying around the house. Then it will be time to begin working on my musical scores.

I don't know WHERE I'll be living in Texas yet since on-campus housing is not an option, but I know that I'll find a place. For now, I'm going to enjoy the holiday weekend with my family while I continue to pack and celebrate my new-found freedom that comes with employment.

Can you tell that there's a mixture of excitement and stress in my voice? Would you really expect anything else? Luckily, the excitement is outweighing the stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment