Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Mini-Vacation to Little Rock

A few weeks ago, I was in desperate need of a vacation. My schedule was packed and I could only spare a few days away. I decided to visit the state capitol since I had never been to the city and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Ever since returning home, I have intended to share the highlights of my trip in a blog post; as things barreled forward, I'm just now finding a moment to sit down and put my thoughts together. When you find yourself with some time in Little Rock, here are some of the places I recommend.

The William J. Clinton Presidential Library - It is probably no surprise that I was not a huge fan of Arkansas' first son while he was in office (and I desperately hope that his wife is never elected to the nation's highest office), but I really enjoyed visiting the Presidential library. Not only was it interesting to reflect on events that occurred during his administration, I found it fascinating to have access to correspondence and early drafts of major speeches. I went to the library on the first afternoon of my visit and I probably wasn't in the best frame of mind for the visit, but I was impressed with the quality of the exhibit. I fully intend to return for a more thorough exploration when my mind is in a better place.

Arkansas Arts Center - This charming museum was one of the unexpected treasures on my trip through the state capitol. The facility is not enormous and I had very low expectations upon pulling into the drive. Thankfully, this is another example of the truth of the adage that "you can't judge a book by its cover." Upon entering the AAC, I was met by a knowledgeable staff and a wonderful collection of works. Among the treasures of the museum's collection are the watercolors and drawings of Paul Signac. I was unfamiliar with the work of this French master, but quickly found myself mesmerized. Portions of the collection are cycled through a small gallery devoted to the artist, allowing for uninterrupted viewing and easy comparison between the vivid colors and simple line drawings.

In contrast to the beauty of the Signac collection was the traveling exhibit 30 Americans. This exhibition that left the AAC earlier this week featured works by African-American artists. Some were beautiful; others were terrifying and thought-provoking. Perhaps the most striking work on display was "Duck, Duck, Noose" by Gary Simmons. This disturbing work features a circle of white hoods sitting on wooden stools. In the center of the circle is a course noose hanging from the rafters. Simmons' work clearly is meant to evoke memories of the Ku Klux Klan and the horror of living in the American South. As I thought about the title of the work, I began to understand that a question was being raised about the origins of racial hate. By using the reference of a childhood game, Simmons seems to suggest that discrimination and bigotry is learned by the individual. The image has been permanently seared on my mind and made a lasting impact upon me.

Arkansas Repertory Theater - Commonly known as The Rep, ART is housed in a charming building in the heart of historic downtown.  I treated myself to a production of August: Osage County and was extremely impressed. The sets were stupendous. The troupe featured actors from around the country whose bios read like a proverbial who's-who of the stage. The Rep plays in a very intimate house; I can't imagine a bad seat in this facility. Tickets were reasonably priced at $40 and the upcoming season appears to be full of exciting productions. For this theater lover, The Rep may just be the hidden gem of the Natural State.

No comments:

Post a Comment