Monday, June 1, 2015

Hits and Misses (May 24-30)

I don't know if anyone else is really noticing my return to the blogosphere, but I'm certainly glad to be writing again! Now....here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • It was great to see Shane and Jacqs on Memorial Day. I like to think that I'm close to their age and that they actually think I'm cool. It's the little lies we tell ourselves that keep us feeling young sometime. I have to admit that Jacqs makes a cute pregnant woman too. Now I just need to make an ice cream run and head to Starkville.....
  • Now that the piano recital is over, I got to spend a lot of time this week selecting new music for some of my students. It's fun thinking about what each student would enjoy and matching that with skills that need to be re-enforced. Saturday's lessons were a lot of fun as a result. I got to introduce everything from Mozart, Schumann, and Grieg to the classic "Supercalifragilistic!" That's what makes teaching piano lessons so enjoyable.
  • I got a restaurant recommendation from Mom earlier this week. Normally I don't have high expectations based on her food suggestions, but I was pleasantly surprised by my experience at Crossroads Cafe in West Memphis. The food was quite good and the service was excellent. I will probably be spending some more time with these folks this summer.
MISSES
  • The award for the worst service in a restaurant goes to the Olive Garden located on Winchester Road in Memphis. Seriously folks.....avoid a major headache and drive a few more miles to the Poplar Avenue location and you'll have a much better experience. My family and I arrived for lunch on Sunday morning around 11:30. The place was empty. We were greeted by two servers who apparently had never waited tables in their lives and failed to communicate with each other or the kitchen staff once they left our table. Food was returned to the kitchen and it took nearly 25 minutes for them to come close to getting our separated bills remotely right. At some point, you simply accept the fact that ignorance and incompetence reign -- especially in the land known as Memphrica. The Olive Garden brand is definitely being tarnished by the management and staff of this location. The best solution would be to just shut the doors.
  • I've had issues with the air conditioning in my car for over a year now. The A/C works most of the time. However, with no warning (or obvious reason), the A/C will stop cooling and begin to blow hot air. The switch's indicator light will flash until I finally POUND on the knob and cause the system to reboot. The car went in the shop for a few days last week to have the issue checked while taking care of other routine maintenance issues. The service staff reported that they couldn't get the A/C to do anything wrong after running it for several hours. Guess what? When I got the car out of the shop, I made a quick trip to run some errands and the BLASTED A/C GOES BERSERK! Instead of going through the normal routine to reset the A/C, I keep the thing blowing full blast, roll down the windows so I don't have a heat stroke, and head back to the dealership. The service manager's response is that it's just an issue with the switch and he will need to order one. I've been saying all along that the switch is going out, but that there's also a problem with the A/C. I guess they don't understand English (or else it's getting lost in the Geriatric translation). Anyway, it looks as though I am one step closer to getting the problem solved. We'll see what happens next.
  • After his surgery, Dad is much more cold-natured than before. This means that he has become a stealth thermostat manipulator! After everyone retired to their rooms for the evening one night this week, Dad slipped into the dining room and set the air conditioning to a balmy 75 degrees. Talk about a stuffy house! Mom and I have finally told him it's much easier (and friendlier to the general population) for him to put on more clothes than it is for us to take them off.
PROGRESS REPORT
  • Cuckoo's Nest - p. 325 of 325 - COMPLETE!
  • The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti - p. 202 of 327

No comments:

Post a Comment