Wednesday, June 3, 2015

What motivates you?

Each day, we need motivation. Whether we are trying to accomplish a task we've put off too long or to make improvements in our career, we simply have to have a desire to do the job. Some people are motivated simply by seeing the need. It seems to me that many "creatives" need an extra push from time to time to do a task because our minds are constantly creating new projects that steal our focus. In an effort to learn more about myself, I decided to take a step back and look at the things that seem to motivate me to do some tough assignments.

  1. New opportunities. At first, I thought this was a detriment to my personal motivation. An opportunity arises to explore new areas or ideas. Strangely, the excitement of something new and creative encourages me to put in the required effort to close a project that has been lingering as well. 
  2. Positive results. Nothing gets me ready to work and willing to try something new like seeing that the process works! I will spend more time at the piano bench if I notice a definite improvement in the passage I'm working on. I can sort through stacks of mail (or laundry or books) as long as I can see that I'm making a dent in the mountain. When a student begins to display understanding of a concept that he's struggled with for some time, I'm suddenly encouraged to continue developing new ideas because I've had success.
  3. Affirmation. Tell me that you have noticed my work and that you appreciate it and I'll accomplish more than either of us anticipated. Affirmation doesn't just have to come from a person in a supervisory role either. A colleague can offer encouragement as well as a student and even an outside observer. 
  4. Knowing that my efforts are making an impact on someone else. This is probably the most valuable motivating factor for me. If I see a student or colleague benefiting from my efforts, I'll keep pushing. When a parent tells me what a difference I am making in the life of their student, I'm ready to move Heaven and Earth to continue the success. 
Those are some of my motivating factors. What things motivate you to action more than anything else? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment